B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

blew one coilover $$$

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 02:54 PM
1st Gear
Default blew one coilover $$$

One front coilover went bad from my stasis street sport kit, koni will sell me 2 fronts for $700, or I can wait a little longer to save for the whole kit for just over 1k. Im thinking that since the front went bad, the rear must not be far behind, but then again they do have a lifetime warranty so they must be made to last?, problem is I bought the car with the kit installed so I can't use the warranty. This car has been way more of a money pit then I could have imagined so Im now pretty much broke, so if I can save $300 I will, but if It makes more sense in the long term to buy the whole kit then Ill just suck it up and do it. The car has about 94k miles and I have no idea how old the kit is. So should I just replace the fronts or get all 4?

Old 09-01-2011, 03:27 PM
1st Gear

If it was my car I'd kind of be concerned with the difference in ride quality if you only buy 2 for the front.

You are going to have brand new stiff coils up front and used and abused coils in the rear, that you don't know their true age. if it were me I'd prolly spend the extra $300 and buy the entire set.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:40 AM
Administrator

I like saving money as much as the next guy, but I gotta agree with Jo on this one.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Keep in mind though that the rears don't take as much abuse as the fronts. The fronts are controlling the weight of the engine and transmission slamming on them. The rears are holding up far less weight and therefore don't get as much abuse when they quell ride motions. Still, as stated, you don't know the life they've had or their age...

Old 09-02-2011, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
Keep in mind though that the rears don't take as much abuse as the fronts. The fronts are controlling the weight of the engine and transmission slamming on them. The rears are holding up far less weight and therefore don't get as much abuse when they quell ride motions. Still, as stated, you don't know the life they've had or their age...
You make a good point, I was thinking more about the unknown age and miles on them. Would suck to pay $700 for two fronts, then have the rears blow out 300 miles later and be stuck in the same boat.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Chris, I do agree. The flip side - spend $700 for new fronts since $700 is easier to come up with than $1000. IF the rears go, then they'll have to be replaced, and yes it will be more than the $300 difference between fronts and a full kit, but it spreads the cost out over time. Ultimately it's more money, but sometimes it's worth it because the instant hit on the wallet is eased somewhat. I'd probably offer to trade the kit straight up for a strut/spring setup and make it known that one C/O strut needs replacement. Someone may be willing to do that. But I'm not a fan of spending much more on coilovers for the same drop I can get on springs, since I set a ride height and forget it. I don't adjust it for the season or the hell of it. Set, forget, drive.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:32 PM
1st Gear

Devil is pretty much thinkin the same as I was that the rears wouldn't be in bad shape, I don't think new rears would make too much of a difference if they are ok. if I had to replace just the rears a couple years from now I wouldn't mind spending a little more over time. I definately want to stay with coilovers though, I think ill just drive on the bad shock for a little bit and see what kind of cash I can gather up, a full fresh set would be nice for the next track season. If I decide to get a whole new kit then there's the fun part of picking what I want, though ill prob stick with the same kit.