B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

A bit of an unusual request...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 10:18 AM
1st Gear
Default A bit of an unusual request...

So quick introduction, I am an aspiring rally driver and I have decided to use a 98 A4 quattro as my steed. I have mechanical experience and I will be prepping the car on my own as much as possible. Per Rally America rules, any new rally driver must start on a Novice license which restricts the driver to Production, 2wd, and Open Light classes. I have decided to run in the Open Light until I am on the Unrestricted license, at which point I will be running in Open class. The reason for this is that Open Light is naturally aspirated awd cars, and I don't want to have to relearn my driving style before going on to Open class (awd turbo). So now for the question. What naturally aspirated engines will either A) bolt right in or B) fit in the B5 A4q engine bay and mount with adapter plates? I'm looking for the highest performance I can get, and there is no restriction on configuration, only displacement, which is 2650cc. I know this is kinda weird, most guys are looking to improve their turbo'd engines, and I'm going backwards. Just go with me on this one...

Old 09-30-2012, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Are you in the US?

The B5 A4 only came with 1.8T and 2.8 in the US - the latter is bigger than the maximum size engine allowed.

There are several guys who have successfully put in a 4.2 engine NA off the A6 that fits with minor modifications but that's also too big of an engine to be allowed.

The only one I can think of is if you source an European/Asian only market engine since I know they have a 2.6 at one point. Though this motor isn't a high performance motor.

On a side note though, you do know you'll have to relearn your driving style either way right? Driving a turbo and a non turbo vehicle especially in a competitive field is way different. What if you just get a turbo for now and turn the Quattro to a RWD with Haldex or even just a welded differential?

Old 10-01-2012, 10:04 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, I do realize it will be different between an n/a and a turbo engine, however cornering on dirt is completely different between an awd and a fwd/rwd. I've considered buying a pre-prepped car for the qualifying classes but an engine swap would still be cheaper (as crazy as that sounds, I know). Also, it will be less headache to prep one car and swap in two engines than to prep two cars. I've heard the early 90's Jetta 1.8's might work, or the 2.0's from the mk3 golf. If there is any way to destroke a 2.8, that's another option. I'm just trying to think of any possible way to make this work.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Legal Moderator

honestly i think your looking into the wrong chassis. b5's are heavy ***, slow cars. even stripped down they way alot. if i were you id look into a much older auid, something like a coupe quattro or audi 4000. both offer quattro and locking differentials. they have engines that fit what you need and are easily modified later on with turbo's for when you get to that class. the coupe quattro would be a little harder to find, but if you dont mind traveling im sure you could pick up a 4000 cs quattro for less than $2000.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:26 AM
4th Gear

And... you would look like a BOSS rally racing in a nice old CQ!

Old 10-02-2012, 06:35 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by bradtyler02
And... you would look like a BOSS rally racing in a nice old CQ!
A few of which came with a n/a 5cyl, which works for your displacement restrictions

Old 10-02-2012, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by CCA4
A few of which came with a n/a 5cyl, which works for your displacement restrictions
all the coupe quattros came n/a 5 cylinder with the 7a engine.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:42 AM
4th Gear

Which then can be upgraded to a boosted 2.5 liter beast

Old 10-02-2012, 09:58 AM

or you can buy a 200 or an s4/s6

Old 10-02-2012, 11:19 AM
Legal Moderator

its settled then. hes buying something with a 10v/20v I5 w/ quattro and locking diffs. perfect rally machine. plus loads of aftermarket support from a company that is named for one of those engines, 034 motosport

Quick Reply: A bit of an unusual request...