B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Big Turbo: Best bang for buck

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

OP, I recommend reading the sticky at the top of the forum for more turbo info.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:16 PM
1st Gear

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/nit...thread-177020/
I think you were referring to this thread that is stickied under, nitrous, superchargers, and turbos!! section. This was the thread I should have paid more attention too. He specifically answers the questions I had. He installed the frakenturbo set up and then got the pc-16 tune from GIAC. That was pretty much what I needed to know. Where I could source a tune from, that would work with a cheap set of turbo parts. So frakenturbo hardware and a GIAC PC-16 chip is the way to do it. Lol and I get that everyone hates people, that don't search before posting questions, but this site is kind of set up like it was ready for the 90's. Not hating on it, I am so glad we have a huge fan base, who bring a ton of knowledge to people who need it. Plus we can show our rides off on here Also a little off topic but I have a scanner from ecs tuning, the blue exspensive one, It is dog ****. The only thing it does it let you shut off the oil change warning, reset your throttle body, clear fault codes, read fault codes and read data logs. Oh you can change the language of car to six different options. I thought you could alter settings like airbags or abs, etc. It won't allow it. Does it count as a vag-com under the stickied thread Vag-Com !! ?

Old 02-20-2013, 03:31 AM
Legal Moderator

my opinion- frankenturbo tuning has come a long ways in the last two years. there are now specialized tunes just for that size turbo. the only one im aware of is motoza, but ive heard of others. do some shopping before you settle. of course the best option is a dyno tune if you want to spend to money, but these usually run 600 dollars or more. however, you will get dyno sheets/peace of mind know a professional tuned YOUR car with YOUR hardware. look into all options

as for the scanner, you cant really expect a handheld to do everything unless it runs $2000. and at that, im not aware of any handheld scanners that will do everything vagcom will for audis/vws. if you are really serious about manipulating your ecu and using all the funstions of vagcom, youll have to look into that program.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by MrSnickelsnizer
https://www.audiforums.com/forum/nit...thread-177020/
I think you were referring to this thread that is stickied under, nitrous, superchargers, and turbos!! section. This was the thread I should have paid more attention too. He specifically answers the questions I had. He installed the frakenturbo set up and then got the pc-16 tune from GIAC. That was pretty much what I needed to know. Where I could source a tune from, that would work with a cheap set of turbo parts. So frakenturbo hardware and a GIAC PC-16 chip is the way to do it. Lol and I get that everyone hates people, that don't search before posting questions, but this site is kind of set up like it was ready for the 90's. Not hating on it, I am so glad we have a huge fan base, who bring a ton of knowledge to people who need it. Plus we can show our rides off on here Also a little off topic but I have a scanner from ecs tuning, the blue exspensive one, It is dog ****. The only thing it does it let you shut off the oil change warning, reset your throttle body, clear fault codes, read fault codes and read data logs. Oh you can change the language of car to six different options. I thought you could alter settings like airbags or abs, etc. It won't allow it. Does it count as a vag-com under the stickied thread Vag-Com !! ?
If you read further, you'll see that in the end PC-16 isn't the way to go it doesn't provide enough fueling (315cc just isn't enough). You shouldn't definitely aim for a tune with at least 380cc injectors, but I haven't seen any, so I'd shoot for 440cc (or higher, like the 630cc I've currently got).

Originally Posted by redline380
my opinion- frankenturbo tuning has come a long ways in the last two years. there are now specialized tunes just for that size turbo. the only one im aware of is motoza, but ive heard of others. do some shopping before you settle. of course the best option is a dyno tune if you want to spend to money, but these usually run 600 dollars or more. however, you will get dyno sheets/peace of mind know a professional tuned YOUR car with YOUR hardware. look into all options

as for the scanner, you cant really expect a handheld to do everything unless it runs $2000. and at that, im not aware of any handheld scanners that will do everything vagcom will for audis/vws. if you are really serious about manipulating your ecu and using all the funstions of vagcom, youll have to look into that program.
Motoza is only good for wideband setups when it comes to FrankenTurbo, as far as I've seen. Doesn't seem like there is a "proper" AEB tune for the FrankenTurbo.

VAG-COM for $250, plus a netbook for ~$300 and you have a semi-portable scanning system for <$600. I keep a netbook under my driver's seat and a VAG-COM cable in my glove box

Old 02-20-2013, 11:24 AM
4th Gear

The old GIAC tune for the PES T28 would be a better tune for the FT then the PC16, mainly because the FT has a flow rate closer to the T28 then it does the K04-15.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:59 PM
1st Gear

Yeah I felt like a doofus for posting what I did because he clearly stated what you did mike. Bigger 630cc siemens injectors for sure. And he also stated how the GIAC tune didn't feel right. In the end I believe he was pushing for the united motorsports stage 3 tune. He himself obviously got the stage 3e tune because he lives in a emission controlled state that uses E85. I wonder how much improvement would be made between those two GIAC files if they were tested side by side on the same frakenturbo set ups. I am going to have to invest in the rosstech vag program because I have to bleed the ABS module because of swapping the rear calipers and etc out for S4 ****, I ran it dry of fluid. 100$ to local shop to do it or buy a 250$ program which I can use on my laptop ery day I want and help anybody near me who needs it. Hmmm real hard choice. I think that is so cool you just have a computer dedicated to it though. Screams I love my car and am a little ocd I'll keep that blue scanner in my glovebox though. Good nuff for me.