B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Big Big Big problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 08:32 PM
1st Gear
Default Big Big Big problem!!!

I was running the car today (because I cannot drive it until I get it registered and I get my licence) and I ran the onboard diagnostics system like I do every time I'm in there. It showed that the antifreeze was low. So I was looking in the manual to see what type of antifreeze it takes. The manual mentioned that the antifreeze should be red, but mine is brown. The guy who sold me the car must've mixed the antifreeze. I had a company inspect the car before I bought it, I'm surprised they did not pick this up. Anyway, I'm a little up in the air about what to do. I'm not sure exactly when I can get it drained, but I usually run the car in the driveway once a week to keep the battery alive and the motor healthy. How serious is this and how will it affect the car? Thanks

Old 11-09-2008, 09:42 PM
3rd Gear

what onboard diagnostics system are you running?

pentosin G12 antifreeze, which is what should be in there, is pink (some say red because red is a more manly color). you could just be looking at really old dirty antifreeze or someone mixed something with it.

if its just old, you should change it just because its a good thing to do, but it wont destroy your car. if it has been mixed, it wont immediately destroy your car but it possibly could gel up in the long run and clog various parts, which is why you should change it.

if you arent really driving it at all you can wait a little while to change it. but you should definately get it done before this becomes your daily driver.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:33 PM
3rd Gear

I don't think it should cause a problem but I do know that you can run both antifreezes but they say do a thorough coolant flush before switching over. I would say just have it flushed somewhere (they use special chemicals in the process) and then you should be safe.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Tech Slut

the brown could be from "radiator stop-leak" which would also explain why its low..

Old 11-09-2008, 11:58 PM
Administrator

Agreed that it may be stop leak. As for being able to run "both" coolants, yes either can be used (although Pentosin is recommended), but not mixed together in any way. If they've been mixed, get 'em out soon. Not sure if they gel only when heat from a running engine catalyzes them or if simply being mixed is enough, but I wouldn't bet my engine on it - I'd get it out of there and flush the system several times with water now, not later on, just in case. In a situation like that, I'd hedge my bets.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:34 PM

everything written above is great. but this post is for the forums concern. when you post please dont type BIG BIG BIG PROBLEM!!! unless its a BIG BIG BIG PROBLEM!!! like your damned head is on fire, your car is about to blow up, or if your wife is delivering a baby and your car is dead.. and your in the middle of nowhere.
titles like coolant dissemination, brown coolant problem and whats wrong with my coolant work. the subject line requires your typing something in pertenance to the subject at hand. not trying to be condescending.. and im not going to read this thread again so flame me however you want sir.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:39 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by relliMmoT
everything written above is great. but this post is for the forums concern. when you post please dont type BIG BIG BIG PROBLEM!!! unless its a BIG BIG BIG PROBLEM!!! like your damned head is on fire, your car is about to blow up, or if your wife is delivering a baby and your car is dead.. and your in the middle of nowhere.
titles like coolant dissemination, brown coolant problem and whats wrong with my coolant work. the subject line requires your typing something in pertenance to the subject at hand. not trying to be condescending.. and im not going to read this thread again so flame me however you want sir.
ahh.. who are you to tell me how to make my posts? the Pope? screw you!

Old 11-10-2008, 09:02 PM
3rd Gear

and if your going to be a dick to someone who has a valid point your going to **** off the people trying to help you and maybe they wont respond in the future. hes got a point- something like "strange coolant color" would have been a better choice, just for future reference.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ghost6303
and if your going to be a dick to someone who has a valid point your going to **** off the people trying to help you and maybe they wont respond in the future. hes got a point- something like "strange coolant color" would have been a better choice, just for future reference.
Good point - there have been others here who joined up and started talking rough early on, when they were still relatively unknown on the boards, and they faded away quickly because everyone refused to help them. These are valid points to consider.

Not to mention, by heading your post with a description of the specific issue, you help other members in the future who search out a problem they're having with their own cars - the search terms come back with a positive hit on the thread, and hopefully they find a solution in the thread.