B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Best friend wrecked his b5 tonight... What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 09:29 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by cruzer555
LOL no way!

I'm right over in Trumbull! The crash was in Monroe and the car was stored in monroe for a week till we sold it.

That's too bad...

If you want cheap parts though, go to chuck and eddies pick and pull yard in New Haven. They always have a few B5 Audis.
damn where in monroe rt 25 or rt 111?

I live near rt 25 which is closer to the easton/newtown area but my girlfriend lives on rt 111 so i'm always around.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:35 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by aeeroN
damn where in monroe rt 25 or rt 111?

I live near rt 25 which is closer to the easton/newtown area but my girlfriend lives on rt 111 so i'm always around.
It was at Hill n' Dales on Rt. 25.

This was over a month ago though.

Still such a coincidence! What are the specs on your B5?

Old 06-02-2012, 03:30 PM
1st Gear

I have a 1999.5 volcano black quattro and manaul transmission sport package (3 spoke steering wheel and 16inch sport rims)

I haven't done much to the car pretty much because I bought it knowing i needed to work on it.
ive replaced 4 wheel bearings, a front axle, and both tie rods so far..

im thinking about buying springs and shocks soon (h&r and blisten sport set) or getting apr stage 1 tune but not sure yet.

I live right by hill n dale

Old 06-03-2012, 09:11 AM
1st Gear

Ooh very nice! Sounds like almost the exact car I want.

The car I'm considering buying is also a 1999.5 manual Volcano Black, but it's a V6 wagon and unfortunately not sport package...

Old 06-03-2012, 12:49 PM
1st Gear

I love the volcano black color, in the rain or in overcast dark cloud weather it looks like a deep grey

but in the sun it looks more of a navy blue/black color

its a pretty rare color too which is cool compared to everyone having silver lol

what do you drive right now?

Old 06-03-2012, 03:43 PM
1st Gear

I love the volcano black color, in the rain or in overcast dark cloud weather it looks like a deep grey

but in the sun it looks more of a navy blue/black color

its a pretty rare color too which is cool compared to everyone having silver lol

what do you drive right now?
It is VERY cool indeed! I love it.

When I was 16 (little over a year ago) I immediately started looking for a4s since my mom at the time drove a 1996 B5 with 220k miles on it. I found a few I liked but they all had too many problems at my $1800-2000 price range. I ended up coming across a dealer maintained one owner Volvo 850 and bought that.

It's actually a lovely car it turns out, but the one thing I can't stand is its an automatic. I only bought it because I knew it would be bulletproof and easy to maintain (unlike an Audi), it turns out to be a great luxury car, if ONLY it were a stick shift like I wanted!!!

Anyway that's my first car story. The Volvo treats me so well maintenance wise I can't get rid of it, but I keep test driving stick shift cars thinking "maybe I can afford two cars" when I really can't!

So this Audi I'm interested in, guess what, also has problems just like the ones I first looked into. They all would be so easy to fix except on bastard of a problem. It's the goddam blower motor, which the maintenance history shows already was "repaired" but something is screwy with it. It sometimes works sometimes doesn't! I really don't want to have to mess with electrical bullshit.

You may have actually seen the car, it's on route 25 in monroe as well believe it or not! It's the B5 avant in volcano black across from Ace hardware and a tiny bit south. It'd be a nice car for me, since I love V6 manual quattros, but that damn blower motor sounds like a horror story...

Old 06-03-2012, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Ooh very nice! Sounds like almost the exact car I want.

The car I'm considering buying is also a 1999.5 manual Volcano Black, but it's a V6 wagon and unfortunately not sport package...
If you like the Avant, get it. V6 is way less of a parts *****, and you can always do the suspension with better-than-OEM parts anyway.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:21 PM
1st Gear

Yah i wish my b5 wasnt silver. Everyone i see is silver. Luckilly i dont see to many in MA.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:25 AM
1st Gear

It is VERY cool indeed! I love it.

When I was 16 (little over a year ago) I immediately started looking for a4s since my mom at the time drove a 1996 B5 with 220k miles on it. I found a few I liked but they all had too many problems at my $1800-2000 price range. I ended up coming across a dealer maintained one owner Volvo 850 and bought that.

It's actually a lovely car it turns out, but the one thing I can't stand is its an automatic. I only bought it because I knew it would be bulletproof and easy to maintain (unlike an Audi), it turns out to be a great luxury car, if ONLY it were a stick shift like I wanted!!!

Anyway that's my first car story. The Volvo treats me so well maintenance wise I can't get rid of it, but I keep test driving stick shift cars thinking "maybe I can afford two cars" when I really can't!

So this Audi I'm interested in, guess what, also has problems just like the ones I first looked into. They all would be so easy to fix except on bastard of a problem. It's the goddam blower motor, which the maintenance history shows already was "repaired" but something is screwy with it. It sometimes works sometimes doesn't! I really don't want to have to mess with electrical bullshit.

You may have actually seen the car, it's on route 25 in monroe as well believe it or not! It's the B5 avant in volcano black across from Ace hardware and a tiny bit south. It'd be a nice car for me, since I love V6 manual quattros, but that damn blower motor sounds like a horror story...
I know exactly where ace hardware is, are you perhaps talking about the car dealer across from a paint shop, some delivery pizza place and near a valvoline oil center? If thats the place I wouldn't touch the car, they typically always sell cars really cheap that have been in serious accidents.
I haven't really driven up towards trumbull in a week though so maybe I'll go down the road and check it out. Probably gonna have to take my moms suv I hate driving since my windshield got hit by a tree limb over night after that thunderstorm/windy night we had on friday... not tryin to get pulled over for having a huge crack in my windshield or hit a pothole and have it shatter on me.

My parents swore we had glass coverage on my car too but it seems we don't..according to allstate its only part of comprehensive coverage, but my parents SWORE they thought it was part of connecticut law that all cars with insurance had front windshield coverage.. even my dads 220k daily ford ranger says on the insurance policy it has glass coverage but obviously doesn't have comprehensive... /end rant

i found this on cars.com manual black 1.8t
my girlfriends sister bought a 8th gen civic from them its one of those places where if you got enough cash and a cosigner they will give a loan to anyone... worth looking but I can't imagine spending $6k on a b5 anymore.. I've easily spent $1k in repairs and 600 on tires when I got the car :/

Old 06-09-2012, 09:12 PM
1st Gear

I have a 1999.5 volcano black quattro and manaul transmission sport package (3 spoke steering wheel and 16inch sport rims)

I haven't done much to the car pretty much because I bought it knowing i needed to work on it.
ive replaced 4 wheel bearings, a front axle, and both tie rods so far..

im thinking about buying springs and shocks soon (h&r and blisten sport set) or getting apr stage 1 tune but not sure yet.

I live right by hill n dale
I think I saw your car at the stop and shop on route 25. Volcano black debadged 1999.5 with sport package. Was that you?

Quick Reply: Best friend wrecked his b5 tonight... What to do?