B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

The best deal on eBay period.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 12:07 PM
cbg
Default RE: The best deal on eBay period.

Hmm seems 1.8tee got the deal of the century, lucky bud

Old 03-22-2008, 01:39 PM
1st Gear

update: after getting very frustrated swapping bulbs/ballasts from my new hid kit into my new housings, i finally realized that the problem was. the wiring plug/wires in the housing on the new headlights was somehow wired incorrectly. i tried my bulbs and ballasts in my old OEM headlights and finally figured out that was the problem (and not DOA parts) i'm sure this is uncommon, and im just going to swap out my old wires/plug into the new housing, but i figured i give anybody who has/is going to get these a heads up incase they have the same problem

Old 03-22-2008, 07:28 PM
1st Gear

Trevor I'm having the same problem you did. The hi beams and city lights work fine on both, but the HIDs aren't working. I got one to work just by testing it out, so I put it all the way in and got it secured in there, and it wouldn't work for some reason. The other one didn't work out of the box,I'm thinkin there is some suspect wiring like you said. I'll dick with themtonight and see what the deal is.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:55 PM
1st Gear

yea, i only had the problem with one...after finally realizing what the problem was, i ended up just taking the wiring plug and harness from the OEM one, and adding the city light with the grounds to the wiring via a tab that attatched to the old fog wire light...unfortunatley, i didnt have bulbs for my city lights, so they are empty right now

the other one went in relatively smooth

if i were you, to test the wiring, just plug in the old oem headlight and run the ballast of the old wiring, if it works then, you know. the plug that came with the new housings had about an inch of hot glue poured in behind the connections in the plug, so it isn't really worth your time to try dig through all that glue and fix the one they came with (i tried, huge pain in the *** )

if there's anything else, let me know..ill do my best to help while it's all fresh in my mind

Old 03-23-2008, 03:17 AM
1st Gear

I finally got one of them working, the drivers side. The wires going from the coil to the ballast were backwards, so I switched them and it worked after that.

As for the passenger side, it looked like the same deal, but when I did it, nothing worked, and when I flipped on the headlights, it reset my trip odometer and all my warning lights and gauge lights flipped on and off once. So I changed it back to how it was, apparently backwards (could be the correct way though) and now it makes a rapid snapping sort-of clicking noise, just like 5-6 really fast clicks when I flip on the headlights, and the noise is coming from the passenger side headlight. The drivers side works fine now, passenger side is still iffy.

On top of all this, the drivers side HID seems sorta dim. I drove around once I got them aimed correctly and it was a tough go of it as far as vision goes. The hi-beams work perfectly fine, very bright, but the one HID that is working is pretty dim. I noticed that the color around the regular beam of light goes from white to blue to purple to the edge of the cutoff, but the part of the beam that shines right out in front of the car has sort of a yellowish more blurry cutoff, could it just be a bad bulb for that one?

Old 03-23-2008, 06:35 PM
1st Gear

Here is a pic of the final install.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...i/100_0587.jpg

Gotta love the drivers side headlight washer cap on the passenger side. If anyone has a silver passenger side cap, I'll give you a good deal for it.

I haveReiger eyelids that are gonna get put on once I figure out the damn passenger side HID, and I justordered a Kamei grill (yes a real one) off ebay to complete the look.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:38 PM
1st Gear

nice, when i get back home i'll put some up of mine too

but that bumper is horrible...you should definitley just take it off and send it to me *jealous*

Old 03-24-2008, 12:58 PM
1st Gear

HA, I know, I love it, it does need to be repainted though.

So after further review I'm gonna say that the female end of where the harness plugs into the headlamp is wired wrong, because I have tried everything, unless the coil is dead somehow, which I highly doubt.

I plugged the passenger side headlamp into the drivers side just to do a quicktest since I had the drivers side headlight outandeverything worked, but now when I plug it into the passenger side,only the HIDdoesn't work, and I already checked and its not the car, since the factory headlightstill works fine. Any suggestions?

Old 03-24-2008, 01:47 PM
1st Gear

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/2783/dsc01345sn3.jpg

is this the part you were talking about? if so, yea, the passenger side plug that came with my new housings was wired incorrectly and i had to swap one of the plugs/wiring from my old OEM one into my new housings with a slight modification to go from the fog light connections to the city light housing

Old 03-24-2008, 02:08 PM
1st Gear

So these aren't coming with the HID's as well? If they were I'd have to bust out the wallet.

Quick Reply: The best deal on eBay period.