B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Begining of the end...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 08:02 AM
4th Gear
Default Begining of the end...

First the background for those who don't know, or forgot... I tried to rebuild the rear calipers with complete and shameful failure, so I replaced them about a month ago.

After a couple weeks, I started hearing a little "howling" sound at random times, at randoms speeds that went away when I hit the breaks. Saturday, that howl turned into a grinding sound when I hit the breaks. I was pretty confused because when I did the calipers, the pads looked fine. So, yesterday I pulled the right side rear wheel off and low and behold, the new calipers moved the position of the pads by less than a 1/4" on the rotors, so they weren't bedded right and rotor destroyed the pads.

Because the registration expires at midnight tonight, and I deploy in about a week, I decided to not fix the car and just park it. I figured, what the hell, I'm going to buy a bunch of stuff while deployed and install it when I get back and have a blast with it. But, now my wife is hinting very, very hard that she is going to make that car dissapear while I'm gone. Normally, I would argue and generally throw a tantrum at this point, except that when I got get back from Iraq, instead of a 99.5 that needs a lot of work sitting there waiting for me, there would be a '07 or newer A4 or BMW 3 series waiting for me.

She knows exactly what I'm looking for... I love my wife

Old 11-30-2009, 10:55 AM
2nd Gear

wow your wife is great! but lol if you think that she is going to get anywhere near what its worth out of it you are desperately wrong...

just tell her to save it for you as a 'backup' car or something, and you can repair it piece by piece when you get the chance when you get back or something...

selling a car with known problems drops the value an incredible amount...

ATLEAST take some things off the car that you stuck money into (ie the neuspeed cat-back)

Old 11-30-2009, 01:34 PM
Administrator

B5 FTW!

I still don't really dig any other body styles beside the B5. Hence why the B5 is still the only Audi I own.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:38 PM
4th Gear

I'm thinking really hard about crossing over to the dark side (BMW).

If all of this were to happen, I would have her sell it, not trade, and rear brakes are easy and cheap, and a friend would change them to help keep the value where it should be.

It would be hard to part with this car, but if I'm not the one selling it, it won't hurt as bad...

Old 11-30-2009, 07:57 PM
4th Gear

dark side? why is it dark? but what kind of bmw would u get? like 3 series im guessing but what model?

Old 11-30-2009, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mr. Phil
dark side? why is it dark? but what kind of bmw would u get? like 3 series im guessing but what model?
Because this is an AudiForum?

Old 11-30-2009, 08:13 PM

I have to say, I am completely jealous. I wish my wife would do something like that. If she is going to do it make sure to stick with the finer side of german enginering

Old 11-30-2009, 08:19 PM
4th Gear

make sure if anything its at least a 5 speed haha

Old 12-01-2009, 08:52 AM
4th Gear

6-Speed actually, I don't think you can find a 5-speed in any of the newer cars like this. But yes, definately Audi or BMW. I was looking around, and I didn't even know that BMW made a 3.0 I6 twin turbo. God, that's gotta be sex on wheels right there! Especially in the tiny little 1 series...

Old 12-01-2009, 10:33 AM
Tech Guru

Yeah, it was in the older M3's. That motor is AMAZING.