B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Battery or Alternator help needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 08:52 PM
1st Gear
Default Battery or Alternator help needed

I'm hoping someone with mechanical knowledge of Audis can help me with mine. I have a 2000 A4 2.8 30v quattro and need some help on it.

Starting about 1 month ago, while driving the car it would randomly let out one "beep". I had no idea what it was beeping for, and it was very random. Sometimes it wouldn't, sometimes when I started it, sometimes while driving. There was no pattern. Well 3 days ago I noticed my battery level looked a little low and the battery light on the dash came on. The next day I started it up and the light did not come on, but after a 10 minutes drive it was back on a the battery level was low again. I then drove another 10 minutes, and literally watched it drain. Within 2 minutes (while driving down the road) my headlights/taillights/breaklights/dash/everything was very dim and getting dimmer. Then it beeped again and everything just died.

The battery is less than a year old (~7 months) so it shouldn't be a problem, though tomorrow morning I will take it down to have it checked, and get it fully charged. I guess that just leaves the alternator..

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Old 03-11-2014, 10:38 PM
1st Gear

Sounds like the alternator. Not sure about the beeps. Are you sure there were no flashing lights in the dash? No fuel level, windshield washer level, etc?

Old 03-11-2014, 11:07 PM
1st Gear

Yeah there have been no other lights. Everything has worked perfectly for the 1.5 years I have had the car, and nothing has been added or changed in any way. Although I have recently had a problem with the rear dome lights. I have them set to off, and turn on when the door is opened. About a month ago (just before the beeping started) they stopped turning on. Even when I switched it to "on" it would stay off. About 1.5 weeks ago it started working again - off when doors closed and on when it opens. Haven't had any problems since.

Other than that everything works and has no problems. No wires have been moved or changed. Just daily driving.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Old 03-12-2014, 08:06 AM
2nd Gear

One beep could mean you have a (driving) light out somewhere.

Batteries and alternators go hand in hand. When one goes bad, it will kill the other if you don't catch it immediately.

Take it to your local auto part store (or batteries +) and have them check the entire charging system, but clear all of your codes first (you can disco the batt. for a few minutes to accomplish this if you don't have a vag-com).

Hope that helps.

Good luck w/everything.