B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Battery or Alternator??

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 04:37 PM
1st Gear
Default Battery or Alternator??

Yesterday my battery light came on, I wasn't surprised as I had noticed when the car sat for a few days it hesitated a little turning over. The voltmeter was just under 12. I was about an hour from home so I stopped and bought a new battery. As I was driving home the voltmeter continued going down and eventually the lights inside started to dim and pretty much go out. At that time the car was running rough and didn't seem to have much power but it was still going and I made it into a parking lot. I sat there with the car still running for 5 or so minutes and after turning all the lights off and revving the engine the voltmeter went back up, the battery light even went out so I headed the few miles home. About half way the battery light came on again but I made it home fine. The next day I changed the battery, it started fine, voltmeter was up around 15 (I think) so I turned it off and figured all was good. The next day, today, I went out drive about 10 minutes and turned it off, when I got back in the battery light was on again and the voltmeter was just under 12 but still running fine.

After all that comes my question, after looking it up it appears that the alternator might be bad, if so if there a way to test to make sure? I think I read that it can take a few days for the car to be normal again after something like this happens, is that correct?

And if it is the alternator are there any really good DIY instructions on it? I found a few but nothing great so far.

Thanks!!!

Old 01-15-2012, 04:47 PM

local auto parts store can check your alternator.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:06 PM
1st Gear

Thanks. I took it in today. At first he said the battery was too low and it wouldn't tell him anything. Then he said to turn the car on and he said there was nothing coming from it. So I am assuming its bad?

The battery is brand new but is there any possibility that it was sitting around for a long time and not fully charged? I have only been about 15 miles since getting the new battery, it seems fine other than the battery light coming on.

If it is the alternator, is that an easy replacement? I don't know a whole lot about cars but I can follow instructions. I have replaced the window regulators, a few sensors and both axles following instructions I have found online. I was wondering if this is something I can do as well?

And is there any certain brand I should get? Autozone had a Bosch for around $150 depending on which one I need.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:06 AM
1st Gear

I was able to see down in there that I have a Valeo alternator and can see part of what I thought was the part number, I can see 903016G which after looking around I think I am just missing the 06B at the beginning making 06B903016G. I also see 20V which I assume is 120V. The problem is when I go to websites and look up the part I don't see this number. The 120V Valeo alternators seem to have part number W0133-1735959. Is there another part number on there somewhere that I am not seeing?