B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

ball joints?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 09:04 PM
1st Gear
Default ball joints?

I have a clank sound in the front end when I hit a bump. Also when I am driving to school doing 60 during a turn I lose control of the car and it starts to go staright. I have to slow down to regain control. Sounds like ball joints to me is that accurate?

Old 10-21-2008, 12:34 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by shady927
I have a clank sound in the front end when I hit a bump. Also when I am driving to school doing 60 during a turn I lose control of the car and it starts to go staright. I have to slow down to regain control. Sounds like ball joints to me is that accurate?
i have the same problem, i think they are the control arms...

Old 10-21-2008, 12:46 AM
1st Gear

I think you need to stop driving it and have it fixed immediately. Don't lose control of your car at 60... I have a daughter and if you hit me with her in the car, I'm not gonna let you off easy!

Old 10-21-2008, 12:49 AM
4th Gear

Yeah park that thing and get it fixed ASAP! Imagine if it brakes completely and you can turn at all! That could end in you and or someone else getting hurt or killed.

josh

Old 10-21-2008, 01:04 AM
1st Gear

I've got the same problem, i think its my control arms too. Im getting it on the lift tomorrow so i can do an oil change and while im doing it ill take a look at my control arms. Im hoping i can just get the bushings and that will solve it. Ball joints are f-ing expensive.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:16 AM
1st Gear

Jack up the car. Check the ball joint boots, if they are broken/split or mangled, you have a bad joint, next use a prybar to see if you have play from the spindle (hub) vs the joint. Pry against the hub to the arm (use a socket on the back of the prybar if you need the leverage). Check for any looseness in the balljoint. If you have ANY, time for a new control arm. Last, check all the other suspension arms for similar issues.

Tie rod ends were a huge recall item for VW in the early years, and the replacements aren't so great either. So, pay a professional to fix it, cause that stuff isn't much fun, and many times, you need an alignment after.

Seriously, if you have issues like this, just go get it fixed, it's not worth messing up your car and worse you or some other poor soul who happens to be passing you when you are turning at 60 and lose control of your car. Christ!

Old 10-21-2008, 01:44 AM
1st Gear

My car has 127k on it. would i be better off just changing the control arms and ball joints completely? than trying to figure out which one is causing my issue. My steering wheel shakes. SOmetimes when hitting a bump, or just driving, it makes a creeking noise. I was told it could be the control arms, and thats what im going to check out.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:58 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by nmocci
My car has 127k on it. would i be better off just changing the control arms and ball joints completely? than trying to figure out which one is causing my issue. My steering wheel shakes. SOmetimes when hitting a bump, or just driving, it makes a creeking noise. I was told it could be the control arms, and thats what im going to check out.
A full suspension rebuild is gonna set you back a G or so. The shaking is likely your wheels and tires being out of balance... a $50 fix at the tire place, but these can be exaggerated by bad ball joints. I guess it depends on the rest of the car. If the rest of the car is cherry, then yes. If it's a beater, then no and find the offending ball joints and do them onesie twosie.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:29 AM
1st Gear

The rest of the car basically is cherry. Id also like it to last me a while. Im starting college next summer. I took a year off to save money. I would like it to last atleast till the end of college. Illl probably just do it one by one though. Wont cost as much and 3 out of 4 of them may still be in mint condition. Also i can do the balancing myself at the tech school i went to my last year if high school.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:09 PM
1st Gear

I have the same issue, I've been driving it for like 5 months like this though! ******* asked alotta guys on here and they said I should be fine for a while. Didn't realize the potential for total loss of control, because other than the occasional clank, I've had no handeling issues.. Looks like I'm gonna have to get this fixed ASAP.

Quick Reply: ball joints?