B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

From Bad to Worse

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 11:49 PM
2nd Gear
Default From Bad to Worse

Ive been dealing with this head rebuild for weeks upon weeks now. Everythign came together recently and after taking it to the local euro shop to get an electrical issue worked out that was stopping me from starting the car, i was able to get the car running today. Well, looks like problem wasnt solved, the car still sounds horrible like cylinder one is cracked or something terrible. Compression is now 100 instead of 120 when the head came off. SO now i have all this work into my car with no result...ok fine right? Its nice to have a rebuild head at 120k right? Well now it gets worse... After the car run for a while and was up to operating temps, i took the valve cover off, and checked the space between the cam lobes and lifters. WOW! WTF! The book says the worst should be .008 of an inch i believe, and i can fit .025 inbetween lobs and lifters. I know its hydraulic and the oil helps fill in any descrepencies or w/e but this seems a weee bit of a stretch. My neighbor came over said the guy who did it probably shaved to much off the valve stems, he also said if its a three angle valve job that it might set in and be fine. I just dont think this is true... So i go to the place i had it rebuilt ( which is very reputable place) and tell them the problem, if im lucky they say they will fix it, but now im screwed for the time it takes to take it out put it back in etc etc.

What a **** **** day. Im taking the car to the local euro shop tomorrow, they seem to be great people and hopefully they will find what is wrong with the bottom end. I have no idea, when the head was off, the pistons looked great, the chamber walls were perfect so it couldnt be the rings, im just lost, pissed, tired, ready to have my car back and have it run like a million bucks, considering the time and effort i put into this project.

sorry if half of this doesnt make sense i just blabbering at this point.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:56 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: From Bad to Worse

sorry to hear that man, if the valve isnt sitting right, that would easily cause the low compression

Old 01-02-2008, 12:33 PM
2nd Gear

that sucks man, but if it dosent work out someone on here is selling a re-built motor i believe. good luck either way.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:52 PM
1st Gear

Sucks to be sure, but at least the company is going to take care of the head rebuild free of charge. I mean all things consitered, you could be in a much worse place. Imagine if you ween't doing the work yourself, and had to pay someone to remove/reinstall it again... that's a big fight to get that bill taken care of.

You'll be running 110% in no time, I have no doubt!