B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Bad Throttle Body?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 03:24 PM
1st Gear
Default Bad Throttle Body?

I am trying to figure out if my throttle body is bad or if there is another issue with my car. I had my throttle body cleaned about 2 weeks ago because when i would drive my idle would be low and when it got cold my accelerator would stick, also my car would get stuck idling at around 200 rpm or so sometimes higher depending on if i was driving the car on the highway or around town. But I took the car in and had it cleaned the shop said there was a lot of water in my throttle body and they thought that it was freezing when it got cold causing the accelerator to stick. They also had to replace my vacuum hose going from the throttle body because it was broken in 3 places and had been fixed with tape ( must have been done before I bought the car). After it was all fixed the car was running good, none of the same problems were happening accept occasionally my idle would drop a little bit, but then go back to normal. Now my car is having the problem where it idles low while I'm coming to a stop and then when I am completely stopped it will go back to normal, but today when I finished driving and came to a stop my car was stuck idling at around 2000-2400 rpm. It stayed like that when I drove it to my house, then I let it sit and idle down. When it idled down it dropped all the way down to about 600 rpm and just about killed my car before I shut it off. I talked to an Audi dealership and they think it's the throttle body. I am looking to see if anyone might know anything about whats going on. I appreciate any advice.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:43 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

what motor?

the rubber throttle body boot on some engines has been known to be a common failure point. it cracks/tears, takes a close inspection to see it but when you find it it is really obvious. you might want to start there.

Also if your vacuum lines at the throttle body were that bad, I would assume the rest of the vac lines are equally bad. replace them all.

good luck

Old 02-25-2011, 03:58 PM
2nd Gear

You could also try this method to have the throttle body realign itself. I copied this text from a post by ImTheDevil:

unhook the battery for an hour, then hook it back up and turn the key all the way on but don't crank the engine. Leave it there for 5 minutes, then turn it off a minute, then start the car. That'll allow the throttle to realign itself.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:33 PM
1st Gear

It's the 2.8 quattro

Old 02-25-2011, 07:35 PM
1st Gear

When they cleaned the throttle body I believe the realigned everything, but I can give that a try and see what happens.