B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Bad tensioner or roller???

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 09:42 PM
1st Gear
Question Bad tensioner or roller???

Hi i just recently replaced my waterpump, timing is at tdc, engine idles normal, no check engine light pretty much everything i can think of is okay besides this loud noise coming from the front side of the car. Could it be a bad tensioner roller? And also my tb hydraulic tensioner is new as well but the roller isnt and kinda notice that i rounded the thread on the roller bolt when trying to compress the hydraulic tensioner so i dont have to get a new one. Anyway that didnt work out well so i just replaced it but still use old roller but not torque to spec, scared that it will just go loose. Could also the belt just hitting cover? Im out of ideas and im really afraid to drive it. Here's a video link of the noise. TIA!

B5 a4 1.8t noise - YouTube

Old 02-28-2012, 10:11 PM
1st Gear

Sounds like you might be right. But, I'd first remove the accessory drive belt(s) and run it to make sure it's not just one of the pulleys or devices on that. If it sounds the same then you can go after the timing belt tensioner or pulley. You have to take the accessory belt off anyhow so start it up once you get that off just to make sure.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:51 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4
Sounds like you might be right. But, I'd first remove the accessory drive belt(s) and run it to make sure it's not just one of the pulleys or devices on that. If it sounds the same then you can go after the timing belt tensioner or pulley. You have to take the accessory belt off anyhow so start it up once you get that off just to make sure.
Really appreciate the quick response. This doesnt sound bent valves either right? Also if it is the roller any tips on how to make the hole for the bolt tighter? Im afraid it lost the threads. Thanks again.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:07 AM
1st Gear

How about loctite? Anyone think this can work?

Old 02-29-2012, 02:20 PM
2nd Gear

I wouldn't want to risk Barry-rigging anything timing related, not worth it. Better safe than sorry. That's very similar to what my car sounded like right before my tensioner **** itself and my engine ate itself. Replace the parts in question, peace of mind = priceless

Old 02-29-2012, 04:23 PM
1st Gear

there is a reason why he is a doctor! Ide pull it apart. replace the roller and check the tensioner. the tensioner has dampening oil in there, maybe your tensioner is just dry? I pulled mine apart while i did my timing belt just for LOLs and learned a lot about it. Also, check for wear marks while ur in there.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:03 PM
Administrator

When my hydraulic tensioner failed, my engine made that noise. Near as I can figure, it was belt-slap against the covers. Somehow it didn't skip teeth and destroy the engine. Pull the timing cover and check the timing belt tension/deflection. Mine moved over an inch.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:36 AM
1st Gear

Okay inordered both parts and just hoping that everything is okay besides those. So ideas how can i go about the stripped hole for the roller bolt? Inserts?

Old 03-03-2012, 12:05 PM
1st Gear

Okay so finally got a chance to work on it yesterday. I feel so dumb. There wasnt actually wrong with anything. Its just for some reason the bottom tb cover was hitting the belt. Took it out and placed it back in and all is well. As for the loose hole i used hellicoil. That thing is awesome! Well anyway thank you all for the help really appreciate it.