B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

is this bad? :S

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 11:32 PM
Question is this bad? :S

hey, i'm just wondering if i'm doing something wrong, i also had a few questions (yes, i've searched and yes, i'm new here.)

alright, first things first, i made myself a ghetto intake :P.

it has an old k&n filter that i found in my room and a modified adapter flange thingy i bought from kragen for $5.

here's some pics;

anyway, i went to a euro tuning place today to buy some coolant (yes, i'm aware that i'm leaking coolant everywhere :P) and he told me that the intake was NOT a good idea because the mass air flow sensor will get ruined and blah blah a bunch of other stuff. is he just talking out of his *** or should i really put it back to stock? i feel like there is a bit (not much, but a bit) of power gain there, and i also love the sound. but it's not worth it if it's going to kill my car.

and also a few other questions that i've had, searched for, and couldn't find the answers to.

so say i buy a two-piece projector headlight set on ebay. can i use my stock corner lights? i like the orange reflectors being there, the clear ones give too much of a "non-oem" look if you know what i mean.

my car is a 98 v6 30v so it doesn't have the projector headlights, but i would like to get the projectors and a nice set of 4300k or maybe 6000k hids.

but yeah, here's my car. i've had it for almost a week. 130k miles, mint exterior and interior, butt warmers, the whole shabang. i picked it up for $3000 because the check engine light was on. took care of that for $60 (o2 sensor) and it passed smog with flying colors.

here's a few pics;

when i first got it, the engine was horribly dirty. looked like the hood had never been popped ever. just COVERED in grime. and also the the front bumper spoiler was ripped in half, and the passenger side fog light cover (or grille, whatever) was cracked in half. so i tore both of them off. i ordered both of these and they should be here before the end of the week.

i'm also looking for some lowering springs. i don't want to go super low, i do like the look of the stock sport springs. just probably like 1" in the front and .75" in back or something like that. i just hate being such a monster truck :P

thanks for your time,
peep

Old 06-22-2010, 12:07 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

looks like you got a good deal

your "ghetto" intake IS probably a bad idea. the oil from the K&N filters will foul the MAF sensor. You can either replace the stock setup, which is really quite good, or switch to a dry style filter.

not sure about what you want to do with your headlights. most folks seem to like the ddm tuning HID kits, though they are somewhat temperamental

for lowering, can't go wrong with eibach or H&R sport springs. coilovers are nice but $$$ and not worth it for your car IMO.

Welcome to the forums

be careful about adding coolant. OEM coolant (pentosin g12) and off the shelf stuff do not play well together. you can do one or the other but mixing is not a good idea.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by 02A6Beau
looks like you got a good deal

your "ghetto" intake IS probably a bad idea. the oil from the K&N filters will foul the MAF sensor. You can either replace the stock setup, which is really quite good, or switch to a dry style filter.

not sure about what you want to do with your headlights. most folks seem to like the ddm tuning HID kits, though they are somewhat temperamental

for lowering, can't go wrong with eibach or H&R sport springs. coilovers are nice but $$$ and not worth it for your car IMO.

Welcome to the forums

be careful about adding coolant. OEM coolant (pentosin g12) and off the shelf stuff do not play well together. you can do one or the other but mixing is not a good idea.
thanks for the response!

where can i get a "dry" filter? and what i mean with the headlights is like you know how you can buy projector 2 piece headlights on ebay? i'm talking about using my stock turn signal pieces and also using the aftermarket headlights. i just don't want the turns to be clear. looks too aftermarket.

thanks, i'm probably going to order a set of h&r sport springs tonight!

and yes, i did use the oem coolant. i went to kragen first and then they told me about the euro place so i went there and he had some.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:56 AM
4th Gear

Obviously, your taste is your taste, and most here will appreciate your desire to stay as stock looking as you can. However, those little orange lenses in a sense are aftermarket. They are required by U.S. DOT law. Most people do the "clear corner" mod to bring there car back to looking more like an actual Euro-spec car. The bulb is orange, so you are still within the law because your turn signal still blinks orange. Or, you could invest a couple of bucks and get the silver bulbs that blink orange for a more complete euro look that is still legal. By no means am I trying to sway your decision either way though, just trying to help keep you informed. Also, your Euro shop should have a good "dry" filter for you. Basically, it's an unoiled air filter. The K&N has not actually been proven to foul your MAF, but it is a very common belief among most members that it will. I say why risk it...

Another tip. At 130K miles, and the engine was dirty and nasty and stuff, chances are the timing belt wasn't done recently, which would mean you are due. Unless you have proof it was done recently, that one thing should be on the very, very top of your list of things to do.

Welcome to the forums, and props for sounding a lot more educated than the typical new guy (you should see some of my first threads... I should have been banned).

Old 06-22-2010, 01:16 AM
2nd Gear

X 100 on the timing belt LOL. It's better to have peace of mind than learn the hard way. Oh, and the tensioner and tensioner roller w/ a new idler pulley is just as important since they're all connected.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:08 AM
4th Gear

Peep... become very, very familiar with www.ecstuning.com and www.blauparts.com. Those two websites are your new best friends!

BTW, blauparts has the complete t-belt kit for under 300 bucks, even comes with coolant. Plus, they have tool rentals so you can get the job done right.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

+1 on the bad idea K&N. Go Dry filter or stock. And both sites brad gave you are great! Car looks nice <3 the tint!

Old 06-22-2010, 08:52 AM
Administrator

The MAF fouling is usually from over-oiling of the filter. You'll be fine, if you are worried about it, by washing and drying it, and reoiling it lightly. Let it sit overnight to soak into the filter element and then reinstall. I've run these filters for 15 years on many MAF-equipped cars with no issues whatsoever.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:22 PM
1st Gear

+1 I have had a K&N in my car with no MAF issues either. Too much oil on the filter would cause problems though

Old 06-22-2010, 05:08 PM
4th Gear

I have been running K&N filters on all my cars for the last 15 years with NO issues, that even includes my A4, my GST Turbo Eclipse, even in both my Nissan Titan truck and every single one of those cars have a MAF.

Oiled Filters dont kill MAF's, that is caused by user ERROR. Odd thing is K&N even built a machine and did a video showing that a correctly oiled filter doesn't leak oil to kill a MAF.

BTW the filter on the OP's car is so old I dont even think it has any oil left on it. lol