B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Bad number 3 cyl- Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 04:36 AM
1st Gear
Default Bad number 3 cyl- Rebuild

Well I have been running stock programming since I got my k04 in march. I finally got a tune on friday and started boosting 16 lbs.

Drove 10 min to my work and as soon as I pulled up to the shop, one of the guys informed me I was blowing blue smoke. We looked in the intercooler pipes and I couldnt find much so we compression tested it.

180, 180, 90, 180. Sweet. So put oil in that 90 and it went to 180. I was like sweet, time for rings.

Anyway im doing all my rings and head gasket while im at it. Took two days off work to get it done. Today, mostly due to my friends help, I got the whole front end off with all the belts, the valve cover and the intake manifold. Ill throw some pictures up from it later tomorrow. I've never done something this extensive to my car before, but im sure that just like any other car, it takes a little patience.

If anyone has any helpful hints or tips, im all ears, as this is something that has its share of stuff, like how the bumper comes off or things like that. Or if anyone has a diy for it that would be helpful.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

That sucks man, no advice but take your time!

Old 05-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Former Sponsor

You're going to get a lot of experience doing this! It's definitely a big job, but getting in there is the best way to learn. There are a lot of questions that usually come up, so instead of giving specific pointers, call us up if you have any questions, even the smallest ones!

(443)242-6436

Also, we carry just about every OEM part and can usually get them out same day!

Old 05-24-2010, 03:29 PM
4th Gear

This is a job I would love to try myself one day... but for now, I'm looking forward to tackling my TB when I get home... Good luck!

Old 05-24-2010, 03:53 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by R.A.I. Motorsport
You're going to get a lot of experience doing this! It's definitely a big job, but getting in there is the best way to learn. There are a lot of questions that usually come up, so instead of giving specific pointers, call us up if you have any questions, even the smallest ones!

(443)242-6436

Also, we carry just about every OEM part and can usually get them out same day!
I appreciate the offer, I will be calling if I have any questions or parts! Haven't broken anything yet, thank god, and I have all the gaskets, but there is still the head to take off.

My biggest question to anybody is how to get the head off. I see what I think are torx screws or bolts down in the head, but they are filled with oil and gunk so I cant figure out what size they are. tried putting the t45 down in there but thats not working.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:29 AM
1st Gear

Still looking for that bolt size if any of you gurus out there know.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:47 PM
1st Gear

It's not a torx. Not sure what engine you have, but it's either a 12 pt. or a (6 pt.) polydrive head. You can get the polydrive from ECS tuning or try RAI. The 12 pt. I think is a 12 mm, but I am going by memory. You can pick that up at many auto parts stores. Good luck with the repair.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:55 PM
1st Gear

Look here http://www.germanautoparts.com/Tools...and+valvetrain they have both types. It looks like the 12pt. comes in either 10 or 12 mm

Old 05-26-2010, 02:53 AM
2nd Gear

How many miles did you have, you made me nervous to get mine chipped...

Old 05-26-2010, 04:02 AM
1st Gear

Well I guess Ill try the Audi Dealer tomorrow or the the mac tool guy that comes around wednesdays at work to see if I can get that head tool.

I ended up after many frustrating bolts, getting the oil pan off. I swear if there was someone that told me they put torx and allenhead bolts on audis I would slap them outright. Now the plan is to take all the parts into work and get them washed in the parts washer and make them all shiny. Did today with my intake manifold and my valve cover, then painted both of them black.

My action after all of that is to get the rod caps off and pull the pistons out of the head, after I can find that tool. then put it all back together. Im not looking forward to that part.

On all of the cars Ive ever worked on, Ive never been more frustrated. But im just keeping going, and it will eventually get done. And big props to two guys who came over after work to help me.

Aslo: dallas I have 140,000 miles on my car. I think the old turbo not being cared for and blowing led to the rings that went bad on it.

Quick Reply: Bad number 3 cyl- Rebuild