B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Bad headgasket?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 01:10 PM
1st Gear
Question Bad headgasket?

So with all the time that I've been under the hood as of late, I noticed that the coolant was low, and using some of the coolant that they previous owner provided for me, I topped it off.

This was about 750 miles ago, and today I was just checking on this again as I replaced the plastic covers on the motor and noticed that the coolant was indeed lower than when i filled it. I filled it to the max line and now it has shrunk down about a centimeter or so. I don't know crap about these motors, but what does this sound like to you guys?

Thanks for the help
Layvon

Old 11-25-2009, 01:37 PM
Administrator

If you fully topped it off, in the tank and the expansion, and it's going down, you're leaking it or burning it. Check your hoses and clamps and the level sensor on the bottom of the reservoir for signs of leakage. Park it with a large clean sheet of cardboard under it to see if you get drip stains. Also, with it running, pop the reservoir cap and smell it. If you smell gas, it's a definite head gasket.

These are just quick checks, but post back up with results and maybe we can help you narrow it down.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:38 PM
2nd Gear

Why would you suspect the head gasket immediately? There are dozens of places that could be the problem. I'd suspect a hose. Maybe the oil cooler. If you can't find it then clean up your engine bay and top off and put some UV dye in your coolant. Drive it until you notice it get lower again and then use a black light to trace where the coolant is leaking.

Headgasket can also cause oil and coolant to mix together looking like a milkshake or melted cheese. Check that. It can also cause your exhaust to look/smell funny (normal antifreeze would have a sweet smell - not sure about VAG stuff).

Old 11-26-2009, 10:39 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the advice, the reason I instantly suspect a head gasket is because I have this thing called Levon Luck...So I instantly assume the worst.

That is a good Idea on the UV dye, I might try to do that here soon. One of my friends' dad manages a Midas and he said he'd pressure test it for me. No funny smells so far, or smoke yet so that's good.

It will be a while before i'm back at my car due to holiday, but thanks again guys/gals!

Old 11-26-2009, 03:17 PM
1st Gear

Yah headgaskets on these cars dont really go very often. If it was bad there would be a lot of other signs like water in your oil thats someone that is like a dead sign. and if your really that scared take some of your coolant and take it somewhere to get tested they can tell you whether or not there are exhaust gases in it. I think its pretty cheap too. Just my two cents

Old 11-26-2009, 08:06 PM
2nd Gear

Bad headgaskets can do different things. They can leak oil or coolant or both and leaks can be into each other or into one or more combustion chambers or whatnot. But I still don't think it's a headgasket in his case, though it could be.