B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

the bad experience with speedtuning thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by JPs
To those who are having problems. Do you know the S/N of your ECM? Just wondering if we can pinpoint the problems to a certain model number ECM.

I just sent my ECM to SpeedTuning today(8/14). So we will see next week what kind of results I get, if any.

My ECM model number is: 4B0906018P

TIA.
this is a brilliant question. I was just thinking about asking this question last night! I will have to go look at my car and see what mine is, but PLEASE everyone else reply with what version ECU you have, maybe we can figure this thing out!

Old 08-14-2009, 06:49 PM

ok mine's deffinately working
I got a CEL the other day (Bank 1 & 2 system too rich mult.) so I cleared it but it came back about 2 days later. So i checked my vacuum hoses (knowing I already had a crack in the one going to the vacuum reservoir) and found that the one a the fuel presure regulator was torn. So I replaced all of them and its driving WAY better....

Old 08-14-2009, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Broncoman75
ok, I finally got ahold of the VAG-COM cable today, so I will be logging channel 115 and posting the results later today
Ok. I hooked up the ol VAG-COM after work... guess what?... There doesnt appear to be a block 115 when i try to data log...WTF???
there is a 114 that had some wastegate controller duty cycle numbers and a whole bunch others channels, but 115 doesnt show up as an option...
I dont know how im supposed to read the requested vs. actual boost now?!

Old 08-14-2009, 09:02 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by flynnr
and if your serious about going over 135 (even though you put the winky face...) you should be checked into a mental institution before you kill yourself ... your car was not designed or intended to go nearly that fast...
I think I might have to disagree there. Right in the manual where it talks about the speed limiter and why they put it on there it says "your engine can go faster than 130mph, however since the factory tires are only H rated (rated for 130mph) we have equipped the car with an electronic speed limiter that shuts off the fuel delivery system if the vehicle speed goes above 130mph. This is to ensure that you do not risk blowing out your tires."

Therefore, get V, W or Z tires, a chip to remove the limiter, and you can go nuts

Though I DO agree, flyn, that it isn't a wise idea to do so. At least not on common roads. Take it to the track if you want to go that fast, people who push these cars to the limit where other people are present and therefore at risk by stupid drivers, are definitely people that need to be checked into a mental institution.

Fortunately for me, I live 30 minutes from the salt flats of Utah and have full intentions of cruising out there when I get mine back (sent it today so I can't post the ECM number that was requested yet, sorry) and feeling that kind of speed on land. Must be a pretty exhilarating feeling to go <130 (<90 for that matter, since 90 is the most I've ever done on a freeway) on the ground vs in the air.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:51 AM
1st Gear

btw its >90 not < we learned that in 5th grade common. You really have never gone over 90??? Never once have u been driving late with no one around and u just wanna get home? I push 100 wen there are no other cars then slow it down to around 85 wen passing just to be safe. Speed limit is 65 around here

Old 08-15-2009, 01:54 PM
2nd Gear

Yea yea :P It is >90, I haven't slept much the last couple days, must have transposed the arrows in my mind when I typed that and thought I had the other one or was completely backwards or something.

Regardless tho, 90 is the most I've done on a well populated freeway. Another result of lack of sleep, forgot about the one time I clipped 110 for a little bit shortly after I first got the car. Didn't hold it for very long cuz I was in a 65 zone of the freeway and didn't feel like going to jail. So correct my previous statement, I have done better than 90, but only once, which is why I want to run it again once I get the chip. I'm just gonna make sure to be somewhere it's not discouraged to go that fast this time.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:38 PM

Ok. I hooked up the ol VAG-COM after work... guess what?... There doesnt appear to be a block 115 when i try to data log...WTF???
there is a 114 that had some wastegate controller duty cycle numbers and a whole bunch others channels, but 115 doesnt show up as an option...
I dont know how im supposed to read the requested vs. actual boost now?!
thats because your car is pre dbw and has less interface capabilities

Old 08-20-2009, 12:50 PM
2nd Gear

Ok, resurrecting this (sorta. Its a threadjack of sorts as well)

I got my ECU back (forgot to log the part number tho, sorry) and noticed a definite change. After driving through the break in period of 50-100 miles, the effects have become even more noticeable, its great. I wasnt expecting quite this much out of the tune on the 2.8 but I've been quite satisfied. That said, somewhere between 25-50 miles into running the tuned ECU, my CEL popped back on so I went and had it read and it pulled up P0604 "PCM random access memory (RAM) error." I have already contacted Oliver about this and he's looking into it for me, but I just wanted to post on here and see if anyone else has ever encountered this and what might be needed to fix it.

Sorry for the thread jack, but given the title is "problems with speedtuning thread" and this is a problem that came out after getting the tune, I figured it'd be an appropriate place to post the issue.

Thanks in advance guys

Old 08-20-2009, 06:36 PM
1st Gear

ok, I finally got ahold of the VAG-COM cable today, so I will be logging channel 115 and posting the results later today
Ran same test today and found low boost numbers compared with what was listed there. I'm getting a max of 1350 actual when it looks like requested is going toward 2500. So I'm pretty confused. What is this tennis ball test for boost leaks? Any other effective methods for checking?

Old 08-21-2009, 10:15 AM

Here's the tennis ball method link:
http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64411
its from audi diy.

make sure you use an air compressor with a sufficient flow rate and adjustable pressure regulator so that you dont overpressurize the system. It has worked well for me on a few occasions. A preesurized smoke machine would be ideal.

To convert the logged boost numbers you need to subtract the atmospheric pressure (~1000 mbar), divide by 1000 mbar, and multiply by 14.5 psi/1 bar to get psi.
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...+measure+boost

Quick Reply: the bad experience with speedtuning thread