B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

bad for engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 05:57 AM
Default bad for engine?

i ran out of gas and i didnt have a container or a canteen. i ended up filling some 91 into an old carton that might have a little bit of dust if not none, when it turned on, a different color exhuast started to come out. there was barely nothing if anything in the carton could that have messed up my engine?

Old 03-07-2008, 06:38 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: bad for engine?

i think you'll be fine i accendinty put my lawn mover gas with the pre mixture in my wifes camry once and it smoked a little at first but then every thing was fine

Old 03-07-2008, 08:02 AM

That's where the fuel filter comes into play. If there were any contaminents in the carton, the filter should have screened those out. Sounds like some of it got past, but you should be fine.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:42 AM
3rd Gear

I'd be more worried about what kind of s*** was at the bottom of your gas tank when you ran out than what little dust was in the carton used to fuel it. Doesn't matter what kind of car it is running out of gas is not good for your engine.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:49 AM
1st Gear

Depends on the carton. If it was wax coated you may have some of that come off and go into your fuel system.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:52 AM
5th Gear

now, go get seafoam and pour some down the tank. you'll be fine

Old 03-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Tech Guru

what i have always wondered is how people run out of gas..... don't you know that gas actually help keep your fuel pump cool........ running low or out of gas will overheat your pump and cause it to burn up

let alone like said above, a carton not made for gas, the gas being a hot solvent could make whatever the inner lining is burn off and go into your tank as well

and the shop that let you use the carton could of gotten a huge fine or even shut down

and i think you as well can get fined if there is someone there from the epa(i think)

to me that is a bigger no no than going a few hundred or even a thousand miles over on an oil change

Old 03-07-2008, 01:19 PM

ooh ok, on a nother note, my car has been having trouble starting lately. i just recently chagned my spark plugs and it fixed the problem for a little bit but just yesterday the car was actin up again. before when the car would start, i would have to crank the starter for a good 10 to 15 seconds for the engine to finally start. yesterday, when i tried to start my car, i was cranking it and the rpms started to pick up to about 700 rpms and then it just dropped down and stopped. please any one know whats going on? last time i had a tune up was about 20k miles ago and i alway change my oil with mobil one fully synthetic every 3k miles. does anyone know what is going on with my car? thanks