B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Bad abs sensor, then no brakes !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 06:58 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by normal
Sorry. I appreciated your answer. What I meant was that since I already knew I had a broken/failed sensor I was hoping that the sensor could also be source of leak. Bit since you confirmed that can't be the case, that means I now have two problems now, not just one (the sensor).
Ahhhh im back with you now lol
yep whip off the wheel you ll soon know where the leak is and just replace that part , i know its extra expense but get s you on the road , sensors are easly enough replaced

over all im hoping your leak is a quick and simple part replacement , keep us informed when you get your head under the arch

Old 02-16-2011, 07:01 AM
1st Gear

Yes, theres a section of flexible line about 8 to 10 inches long that runs from the chassis to a bracket on the wheel hub that is replaceable. Its between the solid brake lines on the body of the car and the caliper to allow the suspension to move without breaking the brake line. You would have to replace the whole length of that section and then bleed the brake caliper on that side. Probably cost 25 to 30 bucks.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:20 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mark C
Yes, theres a section of flexible line about 8 to 10 inches long that runs from the chassis to a bracket on the wheel hub that is replaceable. Its between the solid brake lines on the body of the car and the caliper to allow the suspension to move without breaking the brake line. You would have to replace the whole length of that section and then bleed the brake caliper on that side. Probably cost 25 to 30 bucks.
Thanks

Was warm today and crawled under and can see that the hose you describe is partially severed.

I'm going to go try to find the part today.

If there are any special tools needed or if you have any handy tips on replacement I'd appreciate hearing.

Thanks again to both of you Gus for your replies

Old 02-16-2011, 03:57 PM
1st Gear

not realy ,
just make sure you have correct spanners and you will have to do a full brake bleed as there will be alot of air in it

hope you get it sorted mate

Old 02-16-2011, 04:37 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by normal
Thanks

Was warm today and crawled under and can see that the hose you describe is partially severed.

I'm going to go try to find the part today.

If there are any special tools needed or if you have any handy tips on replacement I'd appreciate hearing.

Thanks again to both of you Gus for your replies
Buy a flared wrench (one of these: )

Using a regular wrench you risk the risk of stripping the nut, then you'll have another problem.

Also, you're lucky it's not a hard line, those things are damn near impossible to replace, especially if you have to bend one up yourself. Also, be really careful with the bleed valve, they're incredibly fragile and tend to rust and get stuck.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:23 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mad Cow
Buy a flared wrench (one of these: ) .
Thanks mad cow!

Old 02-16-2011, 05:45 PM
1st Gear

best tip is the night before your going to do the work give all nuts a couple of soakings with a spray lubricant