B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Bad abs sensor, then no brakes !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 05:11 PM
1st Gear
Default Bad abs sensor, then no brakes !!

I knew I had a bad abs sensor (front passenger wheel), was told it was cracked or broken. Since then I had been getting that abs vibration that bad sensor makes (I.e. My rotors are fine).

Anyway- this morning I went to start it up and pedal went to floor. Checked fluid, was low, I filled it up, still no pressure. Then had someone pump brakes or me and brake fluid spraying from under or near front passenger wheel

I know this isn't a lot to go on, but here are my questions:

- might the problem still be fixed by replacing that sensor, or would my continues driving on ba sensor have f'd up something else in brake system near same are?

- any tips on buying sensor, hoping o avoid stealership unless good reason to go there?

- how involved is changing out sensor (without a lift)?

Thanks

PS. 1998.5 a4 2.8q 5sp

Old 02-13-2011, 05:42 PM
1st Gear

Driving on a fualty sensor would not break or damage anything else at all

The likely hood is the sensor tip is contaminated, and you are either suffering a shot piston in the caliper or a ruptured brake pipe, id be replacing the broken part first cleaning all the sensor and abs ring down and doing a reset on the computer, try the car before paying for a new sensor you may fall lucky

Old 02-13-2011, 05:48 PM
1st Gear

Additional to my above mate abs sensor change is an easy enough job soak it well with some lubricant to assist the release,
but clean every thing down as you will have fluid everywhere, this can easly be done on a jack and axle stand

if you have Gsf near you sensors are cheap there i paid about £35 each for my a4

but check and sort out the knackered fluid spitting part first

Old 02-15-2011, 10:34 AM
1st Gear

If a sensor breaks off or comes out, would it cause brake fluid to spray out when you press brakes?

Old 02-15-2011, 11:00 AM
1st Gear

thats a no ! sensor contains just a magnetic measuring device, the fluids is either coming from a broken brake pipe/ connector nut or the piston its self

get the wheel off and get someone to pump the pedal whilst you see where fluid coming from , id wear some safety goggles you dont want it in your eyes

you will def see where its coming out of then

Old 02-15-2011, 05:52 PM
1st Gear

Thank you. Not the answer I was looking for, but thank you.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:41 PM
1st Gear

mate you have confused me ! not the answer you where looking for???????

Old 02-15-2011, 10:03 PM
1st Gear

When you were replacing the sensor you probably leaned on the brake line going to the caliper and broke it on the rubber section. look for a leak in the rubber portion of the brake line where it goes into the metal fitting that bolts to the caliper.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:54 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by JASEA4
mate you have confused me ! not the answer you where looking for???????
Sorry. I appreciated your answer. What I meant was that since I already knew I had a broken/failed sensor I was hoping that the sensor could also be source of leak. Bit since you confirmed that can't be the case, that means I now have two problems now, not just one (the sensor).

Old 02-16-2011, 12:01 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mark C
When you were replacing the sensor you probably leaned on the brake line going to the caliper and broke it on the rubber section. look for a leak in the rubber portion of the brake line where it goes into the metal fitting that bolts to the caliper.
Thank for the tip. If that is the case, can you replace that part, or do you have to replace whole line?

Quick Reply: Bad abs sensor, then no brakes !!