B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

B5 vs B6

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 12:44 PM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by Clayson
they're just much more complicated, especially the new "Dual Clutch Automated Manuals"
That's the only "automatic" I would own. They are actually much closer to a manual transmission. However, the big downside, at least to the VAG cars, is they require an $800 service every 40k miles. I'll stick with an actual manual as long as I can

Old 01-03-2014, 01:31 PM
1st Gear

Exactly. I mean, they're nice, VERY nice. My mom has one in her CC, but I'm sure there's a lot of **** that'll eventually go wrong.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:19 PM
1st Gear

I know my B5 isn't manual but I cant really complain, I live in one of the biggest cities in the world with some of the craziest drivers. Automatic is comfortable over here.

If my B5 was manual I wouldn't be complaining also but I'll be happy with auto till the transmission fails, which I hope it never does lol.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Kamil`
I know my B5 isn't manual but I cant really complain, I live in one of the biggest cities in the world with some of the craziest drivers. Automatic is comfortable over here.
Ha I'm in Orange County, California, sort of a suburb of Los Angeles. I drive manual like many others and get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic often enough.
But if I'm taking a trip up north with my wife, and we drive through LA after work during the week, we take her Jeep (automatic). And I let her drive through the traffic haha. But she also hasn't had much time behind the wheel of my car and is still in the early learning stages of driving manual.

That said, I don't want to daily drive an automatic for a very long time, even in traffic! Especially one on an Audi lol...

Old 01-04-2014, 04:35 PM
1st Gear

thanks again. I really do hate auto, but the A4 avant in manual is not the easiest car to find... i did find this and its close.

2001 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 2.8L/5spd

ill let you know

Old 01-05-2014, 02:23 PM
1st Gear

Everyone hates automatic for various reasons, but if the transmission works fine, and you plan on selling your car, you can get up to 1000 extra dollars just for the auto.

At least that is what dealers try to pull everyday.

Its funny though because auto is like standard for the US. I understand them charging extra for auto in Europe, but in 'Merica?

Old 01-05-2014, 08:30 PM
1st Gear

Well, that settles that... i am the proud new owner of a 2001 A4 avant 2.8L 5spd. the previous owner had taken meticulous care and had a 3 ring binder with all the receipts. There are two issues: the clutch releases pretty high; can this be adjusted? and the brakes are a little wooden feeling, compared the the 2008 A3 that I borrowed. Not squishy or lacking in power just not as sensitive as the A3. any thoughts?

i sold my truck today for 4500 and borrowed my buddies car to go look at the avant- bought it for 4500. I think it worked out pretty well!

Last edited by foos; 01-05-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:45 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by foos
Well, that settles that... i am the proud new owner of a 2001 A4 avant 2.8L 5spd. the previous owner had taken meticulous care and had a 3 ring binder with all the receipts. There are two issues: the clutch releases pretty high; can this be adjusted? and the breaks are a little wooden feeling, compared the the 2008 A3 that I borrowed to go look at it. Not squishy or lacking in power just not as sensitive as the A3. any thoughts?

i sold my truck today for 4500 and borrowed my buddies car to go look at the avant- bought it for 4500. I think it worked out pretty well!
CONGRATS on you purchase!

If it releases around 3/4 up, I'd say that's about normal, but people can contradict me. I have 2 B5s, and a B6, They all engage between half and 3/4s way up. I've always heard most Audi's engage higher than other clutches.

And on my 1998 b5 2.8, even as I've added TONS of mileage, my clutch still engages at the same level.

Hydraulic clutches can not be adjusted.

What do you mean by Wooden feeling on the brakes?

Old 01-06-2014, 12:31 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by markymarc
What do you mean by Wooden feeling on the brakes?
hmm, not sure. this is a difficult diagnosis for a complex system where I was only given a couple minutes behind the wheel, but here goes...

like the pedal makes the calipers engage the pads instantly, but wholly. They didnt have the initial grab and increasing pressure as when you press your foot harder... felt like the pedal wasnt going to move much further.

(a nearly unrelated anecdote: I had a similar feel to the front brake of my race bike when I replaced the master cylinder with an oversized bore. The result was brakes that were ON or OFF, there wasnt any 'feel' or squish..)

The avant brakes are stock, so there isnt any modification that could add any variables, but what about the power master brake thingy? is there a brake balancer in the system?

I will find out what kind of pads were last installed, they may just be shitty pads. what is a good pad for this car?

Old 01-06-2014, 12:42 AM
1st Gear

I love my PBR Deluxe ceramics brakes. Very low dust, great stopping power, awesome price and no noise. They are night and day compared to OEM which are incredibly dusty.

Doug