B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

B5 vs B6

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 12:46 PM
1st Gear
Default B5 vs B6

B5 vs B6...

I think prefer the earlier body style and price range of the B5 models but they are older than the slightly newer B6 range which may have less 'used auto issues' since they are a couple years newer.... pros/cons?

I should say that I currently own neither... as I am in the market and trying to figure out which model Avant to buy

thanks

Old 12-31-2013, 01:09 PM
2nd Gear

I have both...older ones have been around longer (obviously) so there are more articles of problems, fixes etc....if you keep both of them up to par, do the maintenance, fix things in a timely manner, they will both treat you well. Learning to do a few things on your own will save you lots of $$$, and there are posts here, buying guides etc you can read through.

My B5 Quattro (in my opinion) handles better in the snow than my B6 Quattro, that is due to the lower profile tires on the B6..but I must say, the ESP on my B6 has literally saved my life from going off a switchback in the mountains....and I love the stock interiors on the B6s better....other than that, I still love my B5s....I've had one for over 290,000 miles....

Old 01-01-2014, 10:45 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by markymarc
I have both...older ones have been around longer (obviously) so there are more articles of problems, fixes etc....if you keep both of them up to par, do the maintenance, fix things in a timely manner, they will both treat you well. Learning to do a few things on your own will save you lots of $$$, and there are posts here, buying guides etc you can read through.

My B5 Quattro (in my opinion) handles better in the snow than my B6 Quattro, that is due to the lower profile tires on the B6..but I must say, the ESP on my B6 has literally saved my life from going off a switchback in the mountains....and I love the stock interiors on the B6s better....other than that, I still love my B5s....I've had one for over 290,000 miles....

+1 My 5 speed B5 currently has 256,000 miles on it and it still runs like a champ! Not a single issue (except for the well known cluster pixelation, but there's a fix for that too). I love driving it. It's the best of both worlds (luxury and performance) and still keeps up with the looks of many of the newer cars on the road today.

That said: I do take very good preventive care of it, which I'm sure helps.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:06 PM
1st Gear

The B6 is nice indeed, and being that you are looking for an Avant model, B6 may be the route to go. If you find a B5 Avant, chances are it will require more work than a B6 but that's just my two cents.

Other than that, the B5's have nicer bodies than the B6, although the B6 like previously stated, has a nicer interior, depending on who you ask.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:57 PM
Legal Moderator

Well, don't ever by an audi with a 3.0 v6, unless its the new supercharged one. Way different engine.

Since that takes care of the v6's, you are left with the 1.8t. There are vast differences between a 97 1.8t and an 03 1.8t. However, an 01 b5 with a 1.8t is basically the same as a 02 b6 1.8t. Except, an 01 wont come with an immobilizer, the engine ecu is a tad different, and the b6 models came with electronic thermostats. An 01.5 b5 1.8t is even closer to a b6 in a b5 body, which is what I think you should be looking for.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:44 PM
1st Gear

thanx for the info. i guess the last variable is distance to... there is an A4 avant (auto) here in Philly for 1800, but, quite frankly I cringe at even inquiring as I cant stand auto and I would imagine there are some 'caveats' to the price- like, having to install a new head gasket and steering rack...

however, this begs the question: If I go to look an older B5 what should I actually look at? (not the freshly Amoraled interior and wheels). Belts, rubber gaskets, etc, i kind of understand these items... but, what should I look for when I see and older 1.8T? if the exhaust manifold gaskets are cracked and weeping should I care if the car starts and runs ok? can you even tell if the PS rack is ok unless the car is on a lift?

what are some of the big ticket items to check to make they have been addressed?

thanks again!

Old 01-02-2014, 11:48 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Kamil`
The B6 is nice indeed, and being that you are looking for an Avant model, B6 may be the route to go.
I agree on 'nice' but the A4 is a little smaller and considering city parking the extra 12 inches, or whatever, does make a difference.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:54 PM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by foos
what are some of the big ticket items to check to make they have been addressed?

thanks again!
I wont get into detail here because I wont waste my time for hours on end. The single biggest thing is the timing belt tough. It needs to be done every 60-70k miles. If an owner cant provide service records, assume the tbelt needs to be changed asap. The other big deal is the oil services. Youd need to pull the oil cap and check for sludge build up. If you can see it there, it is worse in the oil pan.

As for the auto/manual debate, look at it this way. Id never buy an auto Audi. The worse that happens to them is the trannys quit working. The worse that happens to a manual is the clutch goes out or the synchros start wearing poorly. The clutch can be changed for $800, and you can live with semi-bad synchros

Old 01-03-2014, 07:38 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by foos
however, this begs the question: If I go to look an older B5 what should I actually look at? (not the freshly Amoraled interior and wheels). Belts, rubber gaskets, etc, i kind of understand these items... but, what should I look for when I see and older 1.8T? if the exhaust manifold gaskets are cracked and weeping should I care if the car starts and runs ok? can you even tell if the PS rack is ok unless the car is on a lift?

thanks again!
Receipts, Receipts, Receipts.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:58 AM
1st Gear

Well, like a few of you said, a LOT of it comes down to personal preference. But I have driven both, and I kinda prefer the good ole B5. To me, there's just something about the B6 that doesn't make it as special. And I agree with Redline, I will never not only own an auto Audi, but any auto, they're just much more complicated, especially the new "Dual Clutch Automated Manuals"