B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

B5 Upgrades/reliability

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 12:08 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

^ quattro drivetrain loss

Old 04-10-2012, 01:25 PM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by vgo
^ quattro drivetrain loss
no, not quattro drivetrain loss. its called the k03 turbo. im not sure if youve exer actually opened one up but its pretty pathetic. and even if you boost it to 18 psi, it will only spike that high for a milisecond. it just cant keep up with the air consumption of a 1.8. a k04 will help with this, but if you really wanna hold boost till redline, a frankenturbo will do much better. so as i stated before, get that. its a very good deal for decent power at the wheels. im kinda wishing i would have gone that route instead of building a whole motor to support a 2871.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:01 PM
1st Gear

For the frankenturbo kit Im a little confused because when you go to choose options it just says 3" MAF housing so it doesnt come with the actual sensor?

edit: Motoza isnt offered for A4's prior to 2001 (atleast on that website). Any other tuning suggestions? And for the fuel injector all the injectors over 300cc say there are not for AEB engines. Isnt a 1999 an AEB engine?

edit again: Found a 1999.5 a4 ECU apr chipped for $150 on craigslist. Will it work with my 1999 a4 as long as its also AWD and 5 speed?

Thanks, Sheasta

Last edited by Sheasta; 04-11-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:54 PM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by Sheasta
For the frankenturbo kit Im a little confused because when you go to choose options it just says 3" MAF housing so it doesnt come with the actual sensor?

edit: Motoza isnt offered for A4's prior to 2001 (atleast on that website). Any other tuning suggestions? And for the fuel injector all the injectors over 300cc say there are not for AEB engines. Isnt a 1999 an AEB engine?

edit again: Found a 1999.5 a4 ECU apr chipped for $150 on craigslist. Will it work with my 1999 a4 as long as its also AWD and 5 speed?

Thanks, Sheasta
the 3 inch maf housing would only be needed if the tune you get calls for a 3 inch maf. you just take the sensor out of the stock housing and screw it into the bigger one. as for the tuning, try calling motoza. other programs that will work are unitroncs bt software, giac k04 software and others im unaware of. but you need to call the tuning places regardless and ask what you need and what they offer. as for the apr ecu, it wont make near as much power as you can get off a proper tune. it would work, but ot too the most potential.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:02 AM
1st Gear

Ok and another question I have is do you do your own tuning? I can put on aftermarket parts all day np. But I have no tuning experience whatsoever. You make your own adjustments with these programs correct?

Thanks, Sheasta

Old 04-12-2012, 12:12 AM
Administrator

You don't. With these cars, you decide your power goals, choose the parts you want to use, and select the proper tune to run them, modifying your parts list as needed to suit what the tune can control.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:59 AM
1st Gear

How specific is a tune then? Like are there specific tunes for specific turbos or can you run say a K04 tune on a frankenturbo or GTRS? Im a little confused with the difference between the chips everyone talks about (GIAC etc) and the tunes (motoza etc). Are the "tunes" just more in depth tweaks or Is it just tomato tomahto?

Old 04-12-2012, 01:40 AM
1st Gear

A "chip" and a "tune" are pretty much the same thing. Someone can correct me if im wrong tho

Tunes are rather specific, you can run a k04 tune on a frankenturbo, but you would'nt want to run it on a GTRS or above because you would not be getting anywhere near the full potenial of the set up. So yes it would drive fine, but you wouldnt be getting the power you paid for.

Best advise i can give you is to conact a local tuner shop and discuss your needs with them so they can point you in the right direction.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:29 AM
1st Gear

Ok that leads to my next question. You cant really utilize your aftermarket parts without a tune. But you cant get the tune until after you have all of the parts called for in that specific tune. Its not really worth it to get a tune twice. For example a k03 tune so your cars atleast a bit quick before you get all of your parts needed for you final build (I dont wanna drop like $3gs at once. I'd rather space it out) Or is there something Im missing?

So I guess what I'm getting at is if I get a tune for my k03 so my cars not a turtle can you just upgrade the tune for my final build or possibly a discount or something since youve used that company before? Or is the only option to go ahead and get a temporary tune while gathering all of your parts for your final build?

Old 04-12-2012, 07:43 AM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

Originally Posted by Sheasta
Ok that leads to my next question. You cant really utilize your aftermarket parts without a tune. But you cant get the tune until after you have all of the parts called for in that specific tune. Its not really worth it to get a tune twice. For example a k03 tune so your cars atleast a bit quick before you get all of your parts needed for you final build (I dont wanna drop like $3gs at once. I'd rather space it out) Or is there something Im missing?

So I guess what I'm getting at is if I get a tune for my k03 so my cars not a turtle can you just upgrade the tune for my final build or possibly a discount or something since youve used that company before? Or is the only option to go ahead and get a temporary tune while gathering all of your parts for your final build?
Sounds to me like you should get a standard chip tune now for the K03 now (GIAC, APR, whatever floats your boat), while you save and accumulate parts for the bigger upgrades.

Chip the car, get a boost gauge and new DV, get a high flow cat or test pipe and exhaust setup (keeping your future turbo goals in mind here), FMIC, and of course do all the maintenance such as the timing belt if it hasn't been done, motor mounts, new fluids all around, replace vacuum lines, etc.

After you have all the supporting mods that will also help you when you have the K03, then pop for the frankenturbo kit, injectors (if required), and a new tune.

Quick Reply: B5 Upgrades/reliability