B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

B5 Upgrades/reliability

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 10:13 PM
1st Gear
Default B5 Upgrades/reliability

Ok I just got a 1999 5spd A4 1.8t quattro for cheap due to a quick fix. It has 110k on it. I'm not to familiar with Audis. I have been researching all day but cant seem to find the BEST answers. I did search please dont insult me.

Current mods = FMIC and Cat back. Rest stock as far as I know.

Im wondering the most reliable way to make around 200-220 whp. Im not asking the cheapest or easiest way Id prefer a way that keeps it a reliable daily driver. Can I reliably make it to that goal with stock turbo? That would be best but am willing to upgrade if I have to. Also I want this power on 93 octane not gonna be buying race fuel for a daily driver.

Thanks, Sheasta

Old 04-08-2012, 10:48 PM
1st Gear
Default Reliable mods reply

I accquired my car in a similar Manor roughly same mileage and the mods I went with and would recommend to you are:
Forge 007 dv or Bailey dv
Test pipe for sure
Chip either giac or Apr make power you want
Intake or k&N drop In filter
Replace boost hoses with Apr silicon hoses
K04 or garret turbos are a nice touch
And lastly tt injectors 330cc
That's a nice conservative fun beast daily driver!

Old 04-08-2012, 11:01 PM
Administrator

New owner sticky has all the info at the top of the thread list.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:10 PM
1st Gear

How will I pass inspection with a test pipe? Will it make a big difference between a test pipe and high flow cat setup?

Edit: maybe wrap a gutted cat around test pipe =)? I've never done a cat delete before how do you prevent 02 sensor codes from lighting up the dash?

I live in Massachusetts so I believe now a days they only scan for codes and do a visual inspection of emissions parts to make sure they are indeed still there. So I could do a test pipe with gutted cat around it so it looks like I have cat as long as I figure out how to trick rear o2 sensor.

Thanks, Sheasta

Last edited by Sheasta; 04-09-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Tech Guru

or get a 2 yr inspection, thrown in a test pipe, keep cat for inspection

Old 04-09-2012, 09:57 PM
1st Gear

Inspection once per year in MA. 2 Years would be great.

Edit: I'll only need the bigger injectors if I upgrade the turbo correct? If I keep the K03 I can keep stock injectors? Also If I get the GIAC or APR chip can I keep the same chip if I eventually upgrade to K04 or does the swap require another chip?

Thanks, Sheasta

Last edited by Sheasta; 04-09-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:26 AM
1st Gear

Just keep the cat. There is no reason to run a catless exhaust if you are only trying to make 200 or so hp. To make 200 to the wheels should be fairly easy with a 2.5" exhaust (with catalytic converter), boost controller (set boost to approximately 9-11 psi), boost gauge to monitor boost level, 330-400cc injectors, some way to tune injectors, FMIC to keep intake temps lower, and a quality splitter valve will be a nice touch. And to answer your question if you increase the boost you will need more fuel to compensate whether you use a k03 or k04 or whatever turbo. You can probably up the boost a few psi with the stock injectors but they will probably be at or over 100% injector cycle so you might as well get bigger ones. If you start increasing boost alot (not recommended) you will also need to get a higher volume fuel pump and adjustable fuel pressure regulator. But to make 200whp, the items I mentioned above should get you there. And as devil said, new owner sticky is a good place to start.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:38 AM
Legal Moderator
Old 04-10-2012, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by crazyquik22023
Just keep the cat. There is no reason to run a catless exhaust if you are only trying to make 200 or so hp. To make 200 to the wheels should be fairly easy with a 2.5" exhaust (with catalytic converter), boost controller (set boost to approximately 9-11 psi), boost gauge to monitor boost level, 330-400cc injectors, some way to tune injectors, FMIC to keep intake temps lower, and a quality splitter valve will be a nice touch. And to answer your question if you increase the boost you will need more fuel to compensate whether you use a k03 or k04 or whatever turbo. You can probably up the boost a few psi with the stock injectors but they will probably be at or over 100% injector cycle so you might as well get bigger ones. If you start increasing boost alot (not recommended) you will also need to get a higher volume fuel pump and adjustable fuel pressure regulator. But to make 200whp, the items I mentioned above should get you there. And as devil said, new owner sticky is a good place to start.
Don't think that will do it... GIAC and APR often claim 200hp (at the crank) when you chip your car while running K03 and stock fueling. They raise the boost to ~18psi to reach that 200chp... which is maybe 170-175whp. So 9-10psi won't even get close.

In most cases, all off-the-shelf K03 tunes for AEB engines will use stock injectors and FPR, as they can handle it. No need to upgrade them if staying with the K03 (you'd need a tune which uses upgraded injectors anyways).

If you want 200-220whp reliably, look into a K04 setup. If you want to take it to the next step, then take redline380's FrankenTurbo suggestion (this is what I run). This should net ~240whp when set up properly with exhaust, FMIC, tune, etc.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:29 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MetalMan
Don't think that will do it... GIAC and APR often claim 200hp (at the crank) when you chip your car while running K03 and stock fueling. They raise the boost to ~18psi to reach that 200chp... which is maybe 170-175whp. So 9-10psi won't even get close.

In most cases, all off-the-shelf K03 tunes for AEB engines will use stock injectors and FPR, as they can handle it. No need to upgrade them if staying with the K03 (you'd need a tune which uses upgraded injectors anyways).

If you want 200-220whp reliably, look into a K04 setup. If you want to take it to the next step, then take redline380's FrankenTurbo suggestion (this is what I run). This should net ~240whp when set up properly with exhaust, FMIC, tune, etc.
I don't have much experience with modding/upgrading the 1.8t's, but 18psi and only making 200 to the crank, 175 to the wheels?? That's pretty pathetic.

Quick Reply: B5 Upgrades/reliability