B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

B5 Headlight Upgrades/Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 03:26 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Mr. Phil
whats wrong with depos now? and what is soooo much better about e codes
I'm not saying that Depos are bad, though I guarantee you that they will pale in comparison to something like an FX-R projector. I am just wondering who makes the actual projector setup inside of the Depos, and whether that projector is available for sale elsewhere and/or if it comes stock in any cars.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:00 PM
4th Gear

ok... sorry to sound too noobish... but wtf is a fx-r projector?

ok i see what they are now... but how do they work? do u take apart your lights? do they come with instructions lol... and it doesnt say what bulb type to use... if this is easy i might get these instead of buying all new headlights

Last edited by Mr. Phil; 03-10-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:06 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Mr. Phil
ok... sorry to sound too noobish... but wtf is a fx-r projector?
An improved replica of the Infiniti FX projector. It's basically the best HID projector on the market right now.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:15 PM
4th Gear

read my edit sir lol

Old 03-10-2010, 04:19 PM
2nd Gear

I highly recommend you read the forums over at HIDPlanet because they have lots of information and, for some cars, even step-by-step guides. http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/

I recommend www.theretrofitsource.com for the stuff. You can get a package deal (discounted) from them. They have a kit they call their PNP upgrade kit which should allow you to use your current ballasts and stuff (since HID kits don't come with real HID connectors or anything) if you want to pay a bit less and still have proper lights.

Basically you'd have to take out the bulbs in there, bake it at a low temperature (can be 150 to 250F and 5 to 20 minutes depending on the light housing itself - how it was sealed) and then pry the front piece away and fit the projector in. Note that the back of the projector does need to be sealed - not sure if your headlights now have a sealed compartment, or even if it'll be big enough if so. The stock halogen projectors have them but I haven't retrofitted mine since my A4 is my second car.

Last edited by dragonrage; 03-10-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:25 PM
3rd Gear

@ dragonrage:

how is your HID set-up for the G8 coming along? I have a friend with a GXP who is about to undertake what you are and was wondering if you had any pointers for him. shoot me a PM if you have the time.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:34 PM
1st Gear

If your going to go with the 2piece to the 1-piece conversion, you going to need not only to trim your fender, but you will also need to get the 99.5-2001 factory wiring harness, which is a 8-pin d shape harness. I believe ECS tuning sells them. Also, the 2 top mounting holes line up, but not the third. The plastic tab that is next to the rad is the fourth mounting point. AS far as the third screw, on pre-facelift cars its only accessible if ou remove the corner light first and is located in the right under the lens housing of the headlamp. On the facelift ones, the third screw is located on the very corner of the light assembly in the back, between where the low beam and the corner light are, which does no line up with any hole whatsoever, and making one for it is kinda trivial. the diy's you see linked do not really address this issue for some reason as if its not important. That third mounting point is critical to the weight of teh light and the 2 other mounting tabs. That is why I purchased these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUDI-...Q5fAccessories
They are the ones I have and are pefect quality. the projector cut off is pretty precise imo and it even has a location to install the HID ballast on the light housing and has the 9006 female connector already installed for aftermarket HID's putting HID here were a breeze. Just get a after market HID kit from either ebay or ddm.

FYI: i actually put a 9006 hid bulbs and they actually fit in the D2S housing, REALLY! No cutting or trimming or anything, they just go right in there, and the plastic hold down tab holds teh bulb perfectly.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:46 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
one-piece conversion isn't that hard and is well worth the effort. see: http://www.audifreaks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1059

absolutely do not put HID's in the stock reflector housings, you'll blind everyone in front of you and probably get a ticket. Like McGov's said, make sure the lights you get are rated for Xenon's, they burn a lot hotter than stock halogen bulbs. the kind of bulbs you need will vary with the housings you use. as i recall, the DEPO one piece housings use H7, the DEPO S4 two-piece jobs use something else.
What do you mean? HIDs with Xenon gas operate at a lower temperature than halogens of the same wattage.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:46 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ObnoxiousDrunk
@ dragonrage:

how is your HID set-up for the G8 coming along? I have a friend with a GXP who is about to undertake what you are and was wondering if you had any pointers for him. shoot me a PM if you have the time.
Haven't started it yet. I promised myself that I wouldn't start it until I get the outstanding issues on the A4 fixed, so that in the case of me not being able to finish them up, I know I'll have the A4 to drive. My A4 has had a lot of downtime. It was a total lemon. Getting there, though. One more CV joint and a few control arms and a tune that removes the unnecessary emissions crap (SAI et al.) and it will hopefully be good enough for a while.

I really expect it to be easy. The FX-R projector looks to be so close to the same size as my G8's stock halogen projectors.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by turtleboy
What do you mean? HIDs with Xenon gas operate at a lower temperature than halogens of the same wattage.
You're right, that was a shitty explanation because i was in a hurry. I was trying to say that the heat from the light passing through an inferior (read: plastic) projector lense will melt it. In all likelihood, the halogen bulbs it was supposedly designed for would melt the lense too

Quick Reply: B5 Headlight Upgrades/Concerns