B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

B5 A4 Throttle body removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 02:33 PM
1st Gear
Default B5 A4 Throttle body removal

Hi,

My 1998 A4 Avant (1.8) runs great most of the time but has recently been displaying an occasional problem where after turning the engine the idle drops really low like it's going to stall before going back to normal (all in a matter of 2 seconds).

So far this hasn't been a problem and I just attributed it to be just from starting the car cold, however the other day it happened and the idle dropped low enough for the engine to actually stall, after which it didn't actually want to start again.

My friend and I eventually got it going again but after checking VAGCOM I have a fault code:

"17916 - Idle Control Sys: Upper Regulation Limit Reached
P1508 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent"

After some research we decided it might be the throttle body needs cleaning so today went to do so (under the impression it was a fairly simple job)... problem is though we couldn't get it off! This is as far as we got:

The problem is you can't get to the four bolts that attach the throttle body to the inlet manifold because the black pipe (as shown) is in the way.
It is difficult to remove the black pipe because, as you can see, there is a bracket which bolts onto the engine and there is also a hose that connects to the bottom of the black pipe. It seems you can only get it out by removing the whole intake manifold but surely not!?

Has anyone here removed the throttle body on their B5 A4? If so how do you get it out? Please help!

Last edited by R_Rbnsn; 11-18-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:56 PM
1st Gear

Anybody?

Old 11-19-2012, 11:34 PM
1st Gear

You out of luck here , we never got those here in us... This is a naturally aspirated one looks like...
Try to take some more picks I'll try to see where it bolts to, I know this engine like my own hands, never seen a non turbo one thogh, but if you show me more in can tell you what to do most likely...

Old 11-20-2012, 05:34 AM
1st Gear

I'll take some more detailed photos and post them soon. In the meantime we've found this, but it doesn't really help as it's basically what we already did.

Supposedly you just need to remove the hose clamp, the bolt holding the black pipe in, and the hoses below the throttle body. We got as far as removing the bolt and hose clamp but just didn't want to come off!

Like I say you have to take that black pipe off in order to go to the allen bolts that remove the throttle body. It's so frustrating, all the other pictures I've seen of others doing other B5 A4's have the throttle body right at the front and really easy to get to where mine is buried under so many other things you need to remove first

Attached Thumbnails B5 A4 Throttle body removal-removepipe1.jpg   B5 A4 Throttle body removal-removepipe2.jpg