B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Automatic transmission reliable 1.8t

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Site Moderator

Yeah kick down is just a button on the floor beneath your gas pedal that forces the trans to downshift. Right, it'll hold that gear for a few seconds depending on how much throtle you are giving it. I get what you are saying, kickdown switch/button is on 97+ autos with tip, also. I was just trying to say that there isn't any mode or function on our cars that makes the engine faster, only shift point (or downshift) selection which will of course help the car get going better- but is of no use if you are going for fastest 0-60 (or 0-40 )

Old 08-23-2010, 12:25 PM
1st Gear

yeah, I'm aware, but I'm still pretty sure that if I took my car outside right now and did a 0-40 time... and then did it again right after (having knowingly activated the kick down), I think it would be faster - that's all

I might be wrong, but I don't drive my car like a madman all the time

Now I want to check for myself, lol... I'll get a video on my iPhone and post it and you guys can see too

Last edited by BrianJanice; 08-23-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:41 PM
Site Moderator

I'm confused. But it's ok.

All I know is that the fastest way to get to x speed from a stop is going to be by keeping the hammer to the floor and letting it completely wind out through every gear. You can't have the fastest time by downshifting (kickdown) at any point during your run.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:51 PM
1st Gear

ok... I'm going to explain what I understand from having read my owner's manual, my experience, and what I have gathered:

From what I have read:
The 1.8T automatic transmission, at least in the '97 model (for which I read the owner's manual), shifts as fuel efficiently as possible depending on your current driving behavior... i.e. it determines how you are currently driving and will act accordingly. The kickdown device tells the car you want to go fast...

From my experience:
It doesn't only downshift, it will hold second gear too. It will not hold first unless it has been activated, you come to a stop, and then start over again with your 'pull'.

From what I have heard:
You cannot force Tiptronic to shift into/out of first gear

From what I speculate:
Maybe I am wrong and my car isn't faster with the method I said, but I am almost positive it will hold first gear longer if I hit the kickdown and start over with my acceleration.

I'm not trying to tell anyone "what's what," because I know my knowledge on these cars is limited, but I just believe I've had different experiences maybe? Cars aren't my expertise, but I am trying to learn

Old 08-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Site Moderator

Interesting. Try to get that quote from the manual. Either way, you wouldn't benefit from this concept if trying to get the fastest 0-x run. You want the shift points to be at redline in every gear, so just keep it to the floor.

You can force tip into and out of first gear. Newer tips trans have different coding that may not allow you to shift into first without coming to a stop, but it can be recoded with vag com to the earlier style. If in D mode on a tip trans, they also have a kickdown switch that will allow a downshift from 2nd to 1st or a down shift in any gear.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:10 PM
1st Gear

Alright, I'll see if I can get the quote from the manual.

Didn't know about the older Tip thing though, good to know.

I want to swap mine to tip and get a tip chip... I heard they work pretty good. Not too many people on Audi sites drive automatics or even give them a chance, but I think it makes my car more mine

Old 08-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Site Moderator

Oh my gosh man, a tip swap with a tip chip would be such a waste of money imo. I think the tip chip is totaly misadvertised. It doesn't actualy speed up the mechanical shifting of the trans... It shortens the reaction time between when you press the up/down shift button and when the trans shifts. There is a slight delay when you push +/- and when the trans gets that signal. So I guess it would seem that the trans shifts quicker. It's still a slosh box.

Not to mention the main wiring harness, ecu, tcu is all probably different. You'd be better off hacking into the shift solenoids in the trans and rigging your own tiptronic rig... jk

Old 08-23-2010, 01:24 PM
1st Gear

Oh Well then I don't even want to swap tip into my car then LOL

Thanks for the heads-up