B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Automatic headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 11:42 AM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by A4TurboGuy
In that case, you'll have to change the main 12V power source to an accessory 12V power source, then just leave the headlight switch on indefinitely.
not really. he could take the switch out and have a relay powered by accessory power to turn the lights on every time the ignition is on. that's all he would have to do.

better yet, he could have the headlight switch be the switch for the accessory power running to the relay. with the headlight switch on, the lights would come on with the ignition. with the headlight switch off, no lights at all. that would probably be the best option.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:58 PM
2nd Gear

^+1, the headlights already turn off when you turn the key off, the parking lights dont. So just connect the signal of a relay to the headlight power, the input of the relay contact to +12V and output to all of the parking lights (oh and dont forget the interior back lighting signal) after disconnecting them from the original headlight switch.

Search for a wiring schematic on a service manual or the12volt.com, Im sure most of these wires are located near one another.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:32 PM
1st Gear

seriously guys thank you for all the ideas I'm happy that I at least know its possible and it seems relatively simple. ill definitely look into it. unfortunately I would have no idea where to begin since my knowledge of cars and electrical wiring is almost non existence lol. now that I know it's possible though, if I can't find a stupid simple diagram or walkthrough, then Ill see if I can find someone to do it.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:15 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by redline380

better yet, he could have the headlight switch be the switch for the accessory power running to the relay. with the headlight switch on, the lights would come on with the ignition. with the headlight switch off, no lights at all. that would probably be the best option.
This ^^^ is a great idea and IMHO, the best idea of them all.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:49 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by A4TurboGuy
This ^^^ is a great idea and IMHO, the best idea of them all.
would this involve taking the steering wheel off in order to get to the switch?

Old 10-19-2013, 04:13 PM
2nd Gear

You probably could access these wires somewhere else, but if you dont have a wiring diagram, then yes so you can test/trace the wires back from the switch.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:28 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

Zigzagable, how serious are you about doing this?

It would not be terribly difficult to accomplish with some relays. I have OEM relays and plugs and could wire up a set for you. This would require cutting into the wiring harness inside the fuse box to solder the relays into the circuit. You could use crimp connections, but I wouldn't recommend it. Headlights and parking lights aren't the type of devices you want to suddenly lose at night.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:14 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by BaseDrifter
Zigzagable, how serious are you about doing this?

It would not be terribly difficult to accomplish with some relays. I have OEM relays and plugs and could wire up a set for you. This would require cutting into the wiring harness inside the fuse box to solder the relays into the circuit. You could use crimp connections, but I wouldn't recommend it. Headlights and parking lights aren't the type of devices you want to suddenly lose at night.
i definitely want the work done, i am just not at all confident in my ability to do it. i have never soldered and i don't even have a soldering iron. the fact that all the work could be done through the fuse box is relieving, however i wouldn't even know where to start. most likely i will try to find someone to do it for me, but if it is as simple as soldering a few wires i will consider doing it myself. i'm just afraid to mess around with it and then cause problems i couldn't fix.