B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Auto vs manual

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 05:26 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Andrew149
Phill funny thing i had a cobra mustang so i would not be talking
that sounds like a personal problem lol

Old 02-15-2010, 05:34 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by aledelic42

op, I got my first audi (2.8 quattro in the sig) when I was a junior in high school also. I think I would have wanted to try to get rid of it within a few months if it was automatic... I'm a freshman in college now and I just got a 1.8t quattro manual avant and wouldn't have accepted anything fwd or automatic, I was even offered an auto s4 and turned it down. I've driven in heavy traffic, busy cities, whatever, and have never ever wanted the car to be auto. if you don't know how to drive stick, just learn, it's a lot more fun and a totally different feeling. once you get used to it which you would, you'll probably think it's easier to drive in normal conditions than automatic..
i am a junior in hs and just recently started taking my car to school. as for the learning part it was a pain for me personally it would **** me off when i kept stalling. now that i have the hang of it its fun but it is harder to learn to drive stick in these cars cause the clutch engages at like the very top. at first i hated it my dad would just tell me to just sell it and look for an auto but i stuck to it and now i love my car and wanna keep it forever.lol(long time). but yea for fun and better experience go manual for ease and getting it on the streets auto.(unless if u know how to drive stick and dont have to waste the time learning like i did.) well gl with ur decision

Last edited by B5 Audi; 02-15-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:20 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by fast euro
It's not that I wouldn't want to mod but I'm going off to college soon ( Ima junior in hs right now) so I won't hav much money to put towards mods, plus the 1.8t is less reliable and at the position I'm in now reliability plays a more of a factor
It is a common theory here that the 2.8's are more reliable than the 1.8T's, but I'm sure as long as you're taking care of it, the 1.8T is pretty solid as well. Basics like oil changes, frequent plug changes, and the occassional coil pack, and you're good to go. The T-belt needs to be done on either engine, so no comparision there. I'm not trying to change your mind about the 2.8, I'm just saying, if you plan to have it for awhile, and you have a quattro and a stick, in a year or two, you will be kicking yourself in the *** for having the 2.8, starting the same recurring thread... "How do I get more power out of my 2.8" and I as I always do... "Sell it and get a 1.8T!"

BTW, college in Chicago, right? Make sure it's quattro!

Old 02-15-2010, 08:27 PM
4th Gear

just curious... how is quattro >>>>>>>>>> 4motion when its the same platform just differnt names?

Old 02-15-2010, 08:38 PM
3rd Gear

duh vw and audi has differnt names for everything the passat is on the b5 platform

Old 02-15-2010, 08:45 PM
4th Gear

Is the entire AWD system in the Audi exactly the same as VW? I'm asking because I don't know, but I have a hinting suspiscion that the Audi quattro is a different set up than the VW 4motion.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:52 PM
3rd Gear

4motion = haldex = front wheel biased unless the rear wheels are needed
quattro = torsen = all wheels always

some quattro audis use haldex though, like the tt, a3 and s3.
some vw's might use torsen but I'm not sure. r32 uses haldex. my 97 a4 handled nicer than an r32 I've been in

sti/evo awd > quattro > 4motion

Old 02-15-2010, 09:02 PM
4th Gear

What makes the Subey "Symetrical AWD" (I think that's what they call it) so incredible?

Thanks for that tutorial Aledelic... now I know the difference between Audi and VW (and why my Audi feels so awesome all the time).

Old 02-15-2010, 09:17 PM
4th Gear

evo>sti>quattro>4motion

evo has an active yaw control which sti does not (evo ix does idk about x)

subie symetrical is pretty much u can cut the car in half right down the middle and it will me the exact thing on both sides theoretically

Old 02-15-2010, 09:41 PM
4th Gear

quattro>4matic>my Pacifica AWD>Ford Pinto>Philly's FWD... hahahaha

Quick Reply: Auto vs manual