B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

auto crank in manual car problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 02:52 AM
1st Gear
Default auto crank in manual car problem

With the tranny bolted to the motor should I be able to turn the motor over using a breaker bar on the crank nut. I just did a motor swap and for ***** and giggles I wanted to see if i could turn it over and it wont budge. Not even with tranny in neutral and clutch engaged. Did I do something wrong?

Edit- Motor turned over before install as I was installing flywheel.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:54 AM
4th Gear

Something must be wrong if you cant spin it even with the transmisssion in neutral. Something must be causing the flywheel not to spin.

Might want to try pulling the starter out and see if that allows you to turn the crank. If not then you pull the transmission back away from the block, maybe the flywheel or clutch is touching the bell housing.

If the flywheel bolts are too long they could be touching the block causing the flywheel not to spin. Just the things I could think of that might be keeping the crank from spinning if it did spin before you installed the flywheel, clutch and transmission.

Last edited by Mike-2ptzero; 12-13-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:35 AM
Tech Slut

You might be fighting compression if the spark plugs are in. And I hope there's a timing belt on and its timed properly.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:55 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mike-2ptzero
Something must be wrong if you cant spin it even with the transmisssion in neutral. Something must be causing the flywheel not to spin.

Might want to try pulling the starter out and see if that allows you to turn the crank. If not then you pull the transmission back away from the block, maybe the flywheel or clutch is touching the bell housing.

If the flywheel bolts are too long they could be touching the block causing the flywheel not to spin. Just the things I could think of that might be keeping the crank from spinning if it did spin before you installed the flywheel, clutch and transmission.
Could the starter really be holding it back. Also how would you fix if the clutch of flywheel is touching?

Originally Posted by FasterA4ThanUrs
You might be fighting compression if the spark plugs are in. And I hope there's a timing belt on and its timed properly.
I pulled the plugs.

Last edited by 99a4wagon; 12-13-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Tech Slut

The starter would only hold it up if it was stuck in the engagement position and seized. If this is the same clutch and flywheel you used on your other 058 block then it should be fine. Mike is prolly referring to using the wrong clutch/fw like from a B6 I believe. Bolts that are too long for the flywheel are possible, but I assume you used the same bolts as before, and turned the crank with the fw on. Now if the engine isn't timed or is mis-timed, you valves could be kissing piston, as this is an interference engine. Also the crank bolt is a 12 point 19 iirc, and its not super easy to turn like butter when the head is on. So if everything I just mentioned is fine, then give it a good turn clockwise with the proper socket. Gl

Old 12-13-2010, 01:31 PM
4th Gear

Even then the motor would turn a bit before it stopped turning. Cant fight the compression the full 360 degs. I am able to turn mine without any problem, just gets a little harder when each piston gets closer to DTC under a compression stroke.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:12 AM
1st Gear

OK.. Well I somewhat found out what the problem was. I found out that the flywheel for some reason was touching the bell housing by the starter. The flywheel the guy gave me when i bought the motor was from a vw passat. So I thought I would pull the motor back out and use my audi flywheel. Well I put it all back together and I put 2 bell housing bolts in up top and 2 in bottom the crank spun freely..Well I put the rest of the bolts in and now its locked up again and the clearance by the starter in fine. What the hell can this be now. Could the pressure plate to touching the bell housing?

Old 12-14-2010, 12:12 PM
Tech Slut

I hate to say it after all this, but are you sure the crank flange wasn't too long, making the clutch/fw sit to far back in the bell and make contact?

Old 12-14-2010, 01:37 PM
1st Gear

I hate to say it after all this, but are you sure the crank flange wasn't too long, making the clutch/fw sit to far back in the bell and make contact?
Ya I think that is my problem. There is no other explanation. Cranks have to be swapped.