B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Audina's oil change

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 03:15 PM
2nd Gear
Default Audina's oil change

Hey fellas, its been a few months, since I've logged into audiforums

Its about that time, to give Audina a oil change. She has 173,000 miles on her and still running strong, without a hint of oil sludge, due to being feed a steady diet of, synthetic oil.

I need a suggestion on which high mileage, grade and brand to feed, Audina.

My mechanic, also has, MANN filters and said he will install one in Audina and for me to buy the synthetic oil, i prefer.

So my question to you fellas are, what grade( weight ),what brand ( Mobile 1 ) and is the MANN filter fine for Audina? I currently have a Mobile 1 Filter, installed.

The summer is hot but its already august and summer is almost over,should i go with a different weight,being the summer is almost done or should i just keep a grade, that works best in hot temps?

P.S. for those of you, who have never met, Audina. She is a 2001 A4 B5 AWM 4 cylinder with high mileage.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:53 PM
Administrator

I've never been a believer of "high mileage" oil. Just keep using full synthetic 0w-40, 5w-30 or 5w-40, good filters, and 3k intervals and it will run fine.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:19 PM
1st Gear

I went with a MANN filter, from what i read everyone loves them, not sure why but its a massive filter compared to the napa one that was on it. I also used mobil 1 5w-30 full synthetic because of the price (26$ for the big 5 quart jug at walmart), i couldn't find a better price anywhere else. What i did before my oil change was seafoam the engine and after that the oil came out pitch black so it cleaned it out a bit. Maybe you should look into that, it could really benefit you.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:24 PM
Legal Moderator

Yup 5-30 WalMart Mobil here too. Screw the high mileage oil. And I personally use a wix filter 51515 which is fairly large as well and is from a 5 liter mustang.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by DanaB6
I went with a MANN filter, from what i read everyone loves them, not sure why but its a massive filter compared to the napa one that was on it. I also used mobil 1 5w-30 full synthetic because of the price (26$ for the big 5 quart jug at walmart), i couldn't find a better price anywhere else. What i did before my oil change was seafoam the engine and after that the oil came out pitch black so it cleaned it out a bit. Maybe you should look into that, it could really benefit you.
Originally Posted by redline380
Yup 5-30 WalMart Mobil here too. Screw the high mileage oil. And I personally use a wix filter 51515 which is fairly large as well and is from a 5 liter mustang.
That's the important part. I use the big *** mobil 1 "extended performance" filter. The soda can sized filter that came on the car originally is far too small, especially for a turbo car and when you take into account the 10,000 mile recommended oil change interval in the manual. (even though it was revised later)

Old 08-14-2012, 05:40 PM
2nd Gear

Alright fellas, i'll take a drive to wally world and see if they have the big 5 quart jug of 5w-30 for $26.00.

I always heard about, using high mileage oil in older cars, hence the reason i asked.

I also have a very small oil leak( oil never drips to the ground, oil is only seen on the belly pan ) and need to get my engine, power washed or steam washed, from the top to bottom, so my mechanic can find, where the oil leak is coming from, anyone know of a shop in the tri-state area? CT/NY/ ? I can't find one place, that does this locally.

Last edited by morpheous; 08-14-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:32 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by morpheous
Alright fellas, i'll take a drive to wally world and see if they have the big 5 quart jug of 5w-30 for $26.00.

I always heard about, using high mileage oil in older cars, hence the reason i asked.

I also have a very small oil leak( oil never drips to the ground, oil is only seen on the belly pan ) and need to get my engine, power washed or steam washed, from the top to bottom, so my mechanic can find, where the oil leak is coming from, anyone know of a shop in the tri-state area? CT/NY/ ? I can't find one place, that does this locally.
If you love saving that 2$ or so i heard autozone will match and drop a price by 10%. So go to autozone and tell them that walmart is selling the exact same oil for 10$ cheaper, they will match it and lower the price by 10%. Im not sure if this is true or not but worth a shot. Also the MANN filter is like 10$ at Napa, 5$ if you have a shop discount.