B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Audi suspension 101

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 08:26 PM
Default Audi suspension 101

Hi all,
Just bought a 98 A4 2.8 Avant with a loud front end clunk only when going over potholes or large bumps in the road. 132K. I have tried to educate myself on this site, it's been really helpful. It handles fine on the highway, and turning fast or slow.
My question is, what does it sound like? How long can I get away with it? I am interviewing for a job (means I'm strapped). When I fix it, is there anyone who can do the work for me independently, and give the car an alignment? I hired an independent mechanic on craigslist to check the car out before I bought it, as you can see he did a really thorough job. I don't know anything about the age of the suspension, fixed or original. I live in the metro west area of Boston.
Thanks!

Old 08-23-2009, 08:46 PM
3rd Gear

I'm willing to bet that the upper and/or lower control arms are shot. Google search Blauparts and you can buy a whole upper and lower control arm kit with upgraded Tie Rods Ends for around $470 shipped.

Many shops who know the problem with Audi suspensions hate doing control arms. The reason for this is the pinch bolt that sits right above the tire. You can see it if you look in the wheel well. Chances are that sucker is rusted and seized all to hell. Most of the work is spent getting that bolt out to remove the control arms from the main steering knuckle. I had to pull the entire assembly out of my car and drill the bolt out, it took the entire weekend to install. I took my time but it will still take a mechanic the better part of a day to get the job done.

If you can deal with the thump until you can get the whole thing fixed, you should be able to get by. If your Tie Rod Ends are going, you will need to replace those ASAP. You'll know they are going if you car starts to track off while driving.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:22 PM

If you're not hearing a clunking sound while turning, then you can probably eliminate bad tie-rod ends. It sounds more like a control arm issue, and one in which an independent shop should be able to identify for you. You can choose to have all of the control arms replaced at once, or just the bad arm, or arms. Once you find out which arm(s) are bad, ask the shop if they install customer supplied parts (some do, some don't). If they do, you can order the parts on your own from blauparts (as mentioned above) and save a little bit of money. If not, find a shop that does.

You could also scour here, or Audizine for Audi owners in your area that may be able to do the work for you on the side for cheap. I'm sure they'd be able to help you out - all you would need to do is supply the parts, beer, $$, etc. We're a close group and we're always willing to help out our community - just ask around, i'm sure someone will help

GL

Last edited by A4 Effort; 08-23-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:50 AM
4th Gear

Could also be a strut bearing..

Old 08-24-2009, 10:18 AM
Default audi suspension 101

Hey,
Thanks for the advice! Much appreciated, I love the car even though it's been a rough start with it.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:22 PM
3rd Gear

everyone will have these problems at some point or another, some of us (me included) got hit up right after I bought the car. But I still love my car the same.....