B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Audi peoples..

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 04:00 PM
Site Moderator
Default Audi peoples..

How are you?

My 2000 has been sitting in the driveway for the past 9 or so months sitting at 114k miles. Just washed it and was in disgust at the amount of dirt that accumulated. The wheel bearing among other things is really bad and when the tags expired, I said F it. My wife and I work together so it's not horrible using only 1 car. But enough is is enough.. I'm trying to find a new job, and I miss driving it. Help me out with sourcing/pricing my to-do list! I'm trying to spend a minimal amount.

Control arms. Found a whole set of new ebay stuff for $215 shipped. Instinct says "no," and I've advised against it in the past to other members, but my wallet is about to bust a nut over it when compared with $400-$500 more reputable brands. I have not been able to find any bad feedback about them on all the forums, and regardless, I'll only have this car for another couple years.

Front wheel bearings. Might as well do both sides if I have the control arms out. A shop quoted me $40 per side to pull old/press new bearings into the hub. Autozone does't rent a press or puller for this kind of thing. Any other routes?

Front rotors and pads. OEM stuff with pad sensor wires.

Tires. I just need something decently rated - all season. I usually spend ~$75/tire for something like that. Any recommendations?

After I get an alignment and exhaust leak fixed I should be happy, but I fully expect something terrible to happen once all this is done. Most likely the turbo will take a ****.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:18 PM
1st Gear

Glad you're back. I've heard some people say good things about the 200 dollar ebay control arms. I'm also on a major budget crunch and I'm wanting to get a set of those before the end of the summer.

I just found a place online that has some pretty good prices, they're located in Flint, MI and I got to meet one of the owners in person when I picked up some brake rotors, they're car enthusiasts themselves and seem like the run a good business. www.fap99.com "Foreign Auto Parts"

I just replaced pads and rotors on my car, I got the rotors from those guys, but I ended up getting pads from Car Quest, they actually have a lifetime guarantee, so when they're worn out take them back with the receipt and you get a new set free. Not awesome performance pads, but hey, only have to pay for em once, ya know?

Old 07-15-2010, 04:21 PM
1st Gear

*oops, double post*

Old 07-15-2010, 04:22 PM
1st Gear

I just bought that suspension set on ebay for 200$.
And its great, it took the about 3 weeks to even think about shipping it.
I also bought 4 wheel bearing for 120$
I went on a road trip and got screws in my tires...
So i went to walmart and bought a brand new set of four goodyears.
they have an 80,000 mile warranty and lifetime free rotating and patching.
i got all 4 for 400$

i was planning on chipping but im broke
Now i have to wait a bit.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Former Sponsor

I would wait on the control arms. I would consider that a safety item like brakes, and I personally do not skimp on things like that

Old 07-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Wow, back from the dead The way I did it was to find the FCP Groton kit on eBay, and check what deal they offered. At the time it was $242.10 for the kit and free shipping. Then I just called them with the auction number and asked if I could order over the phone with my card rather than deal with the eBay crap. They said that they preferred it. I did it and installed them, and love them. No worries on their kit.

For the wheel bearings, go for it that way. I paid Goodyear $28 to do mine.

Nothing wrong with the direction you're going on brakes.

For tires, check out www.discount-tires-2go.com - pretty damn good prices through them.

Welcome back - hopefully gonna hang a little more often now?

Old 07-15-2010, 05:23 PM
2nd Gear

You can also check out tire-easy.com I've been getting my tires from there and I've been real happy. Can't complain...225/40/18 shipped for about $350

Old 07-15-2010, 05:24 PM
2nd Gear

and it helps to have a friend who works at wal-mart who will mount and balance for a 6-pack

Old 07-15-2010, 07:48 PM
Tech Guru

welcome back....

Old 07-15-2010, 11:28 PM
5th Gear

i thought you got taken by aliens.

save yourself a few bucks and don't get pads with sensors. you can just cut the old sensors off on the old pads and splice the 2 wires together. you'll never get a light for them ever lol.

far as control arms, FCP groton is pretty good.

$40 per side just to pull and press is really expensive. i pay $20 a side. bearing presses are huge so autozone won't have them.

don't worry if the turbo takes a ****. you can tell your wife it's taken a **** and use it as an excuse to upgrade to say elim?

Quick Reply: Audi peoples..