B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Audi mid bass speakers

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 04:26 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi mid bass speakers

So im stuck here, i have a 01 Audi symphony sound system (bose). My rear deck has 2 6.5" "mid bass speakers" according to the audio store they are not considered to be sub woofers. Both of mine are blown. I noticed their 2 ohms, is it possible to replace them with 4 ohm speakers? If not is there any speakers you would recommend? Im pretty much a begginer when it comes to car audio. I have a factory double din deck that i do not plan on upgrading.
i found these but i know nothing about them or the website
http://www.woofersetc.com/p-7175-cx6...s-drivers.aspx

and i also found this
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by DanaB6; 06-26-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:58 AM
1st Gear

You need to replace them with 2 ohm speakers. Anything else will damage the amp and eventually it will overheat and stop working.

The BOSE amp filters specific frequencies to those deck speakers to enhance what it does with the door speakers.

You will find that the rear deck speakers handle most of the bass.

There's no point fitting a 2 way pair with tweeters.

BOSE systems are pretty much self contained. If possible replace with the correct BOSE speaker.

Any 2 ohm speaker will work, but depending on that speakers sensitivity and characteristics, then you cant guarantee that the sound will be as it should as the whole system is designed to work with the bits fitted at factory.

Personally, I would take a risk with any half decent 2 ohm driver. I imagine the BoSE speakers will be expensive, probably paper cones and even if boxed from storage at the dealership they will still be a few years old.

Another option would be to see what other cars use 2ohm BOSE speakers if the same size and look for a used pair,maybe on ebay or similar?

When you fit them, make sure the phasing is correct ie when you install the speaker you make sure the + wire goes to the + spade on the speaker and the - to the - spade etc. Incorrect phasing can reduce bass response a lot.

Stu

Old 06-27-2012, 06:59 AM
1st Gear

Also....... search the JBL range, I seem to remember they did a 4 ohm range designed to also be used as replacements for 2 ohm speakers but take advice first from a professional if you go down this route I would suggest.

Stu

Old 06-27-2012, 03:25 PM
1st Gear

Running 4 ohm speakers on an amp designed for 2 ohms will result in only 50% of the amps rated power (watts) being utilized by the speakers. This usually makes you want to turn the volume up much higher than normal to achieve the same level of sound output... This is basically doing to the amp what you'd be doing to the engine if you never shifted into 5th gear, but rather instead only went up to 3rd gear and then continuously revved the holy snot out of the engine and sustained redline RPMs to maintain full highway cruising speed. After lengthy sustained operation, neither the amp (nor the engine in my analogy) will be very happy about it.

(former sound engineer who dealt with lots of different kinds of sound reinforcement speakers and amps for live band performances)

Old 06-28-2012, 12:23 AM
1st Gear

honestly I would just do the following

buy a new head unit

re wire the rear speakers

today me and my friend wired the rear speakers from above the footwell on the driver side along the sides of the car to the rear, took us about 25 minutes and we had excellent quality wire and no stupid amp to deal with. My old factory wire harness was spliced into and we couldn't figure out how it was wired up to a different head unit from 2000 so we just re wired it.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:53 AM
1st Gear

You won't damage the amplifier by replacing the two ohm speakers with 4 ohm units. You will have slightly reduced output, that's all.

The "ohm" rating of speakers isn't DC resistance, it is AC impedance. If you take an ohm meter and measure a 8 ohm speaker, you'll see only an ohm or two DC resistance.

You definitely don't want to go with a lower impedance speaker, as you can cause your amplifier to overheat because of the excess current draw. But your amplifier is not working any harder by using higher impedance speakers.

Last edited by TCinJ; 06-28-2012 at 08:08 AM.