B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Audi defects

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 02:27 PM
Default RE: Audi defects

All heated mirrors do this, and we are lucky its just the moldings cuz you dont know how many cars that old already have rust spots.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:15 PM
1st Gear

hahaha

B5 owns, you dont have to stick up for audi on a audi forum... we all know that everyone loves there audi, but no cars perfect...

Old 03-21-2008, 03:38 PM
1st Gear

My only complaint is my center cupholders are broken, not that I ever use then Just that they are stuck open and won't stay closed, I guess I am going to try to replace them or maybe I'll just make a custom cover to get rid of them.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:46 PM

ORIGINAL: B5 owns

did you ever see a boost guage in any car from the factory?
Um yeah. The STi does. Hell, even the WRX does.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:21 PM

Factory boost guage?..did you ever see a boost guage in any car from the factory?
volvo had them too . i love my B5, i have never had any major issue what so ever....i am a maintainance *****. every time i put it on the lift, i am always poking around. other than a t-belt service which is basic maint. anyway, i love it. as far as engineering disasters............

1) LCD display
2) 1.5 more inches behind the engine please
3) bose stereo isn't all that impressive

other than the above mentioned, it's pretty well put together.

as a side note~ the oil problems (ok, it is a bit of a sh!++y design) is due in part (big part) to stupid people. first, oil change intervals more than 3K...c'mon........ and second people have NO CLUE how to drive or maintain a turbo car, which give these a bad rap. sally soccer mom blowing down the highway at 85, then blasting into the driveway and shutting it down didn't help either, nor did the 'i'm over on my oil change' which sadly, 2nd and 3rd owners may be dealing with.

there's my rant

Old 03-21-2008, 11:11 PM
2nd Gear

I was surprised to see this thread resurface... it's nice to see some support though. I was hoping I wasn't the only one dissapointed with some of these things that bothered me so much. And they are really simple things that could have been made better during the designing stage.

I have heard the comment that people shouldn't be drinking in their Audi more than a couple times on this forum. I would have to guess these comments come from people who don't use their car for transportation. I drive my car, and I happen to drive my car great distances many times. Being human I sometimes become thirsty... so it has become a necessity that I need something to drink while I'm driving. Does that really sound so unrealistic?

Here's another one that bugs me... a radio antenna that's in the rear window with the defroster. Turn on the defroster and lose your radio station. Admittingly though, I do like the fact that I don't have a metal rod sticking up from a fender. It's a give and take with this car.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:22 PM
1st Gear

cup holders.....pathetic
browning mirrors.....ridiculous
fading display....disappointing
non-powered passenger seat....shameful
highly sensitive and impractical interior motion sensors....annoying
cd changer without anti-skip protection...useless
lack of rear cabin space....regretful
unecessary fake headlight washer covers....insulting
Yet, still one of the most thorough and impressive designs I've encountered to date...waaaaaayyyyyyyy before its time.

P.S. I personally think the boost guage idea is absurd....

Old 03-21-2008, 11:22 PM
tdn
2nd Gear

Factory boost guage?..did you ever see a boost guage in any car from the factory?
saabs, subarus, volvo.

i'm sure theres more. even if any other car from factory didn't have boost guages (which many do), that isn't a reason for Audi not to have them, so I fail to see your point. [:'(]

Old 03-21-2008, 11:23 PM
tdn
2nd Gear

P.S. I personally think the boost guage idea is absurd....

Feel free to explain. I'm not in love with the idea, but I think it should have been included with turbo charged cars... there's obviously a reason they didn't see the need for one, enlighten me.

I suppose because they're luxury before all else, is why they didn't include one, most people into luxurious things probably couldn't be bothered to care what a boost guage is/does.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:50 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

"non-powered passenger seat"
not really a defect. its just convenient feature to have. i believe only 2.8ers get all powered seats excluding the rear passenger seats. now thats something they should keep in mind in the future [&:]

"unecessary fake headlight washer covers....insulting"
are you saying yours aint working? check again. have someone stand in front of your car while you activate the washer fluid(some say youneed to have your headlights on).

3) bose stereo isn't all that impressive
again, not a defect. probably just another feature they had to keep aminimal budget on.

"All heated mirrors do this, and we are lucky its just the moldings cuz you dont know how many cars that old already have rust spots. "
im actually glad to hear that. I wasnt sure if i had heated mirrors, but thats the only reason why i could think of why i was getting those discoloration on my mirrors.

as for complaints on the cup-holders. i like it....i like the one that you push it and pops out. very convinient that its visible and high up. just make sure you dont open your coffee yet until your dead stopor have it half empty(half full?) i also try to drink that has a lid and a straw.

the one under the arm rest i could careless. all you gotta do is lift up the arm-rest to move it backout of your way...

my last complaint for me would be high wind noise. its coming from the B-pillar on the driver side(maybe on the passenger side as well). gets very irritating when its windy outside and/or your driving down the highway.

Quick Reply: Audi defects