B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Audi A4 quattro 1.8 turbo aeb loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 08:25 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi A4 quattro 1.8 turbo aeb loss of power

Hey guys quick question... Lately I feel like my car has no power for being turbo! When I am at a stop light or stop sign I can push the pedal all the way to the floor and it goes very slow! Going up hills I can push the pedal to the floor and it feels like it has no power there either.. I am not sure what to do.. I put in a brand new air filter, switched out the diverter valve, new plugs, ignition coils, oil changed.. Not sure what else it could be. If anyone has any suggestions I am open to hearing them! I was thinking either my turbo is going bad? Possible fuel filter clogged(not sure when or if it was ever changed) Possible MAF sensor? I did have a short air k&n filter on it but went back to the stock air box setup. K&n filter did not seem like it gave it anymore power. I am at a loss so any help I will appreciate thanks in advance!

Old 05-18-2011, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Have you done a boost leak check? Likely a vac line off or cracked and you are in limp mode. Go to the diy section to learn to do the test...

Old 05-19-2011, 07:58 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info, will be looking into this today! Also I do not know if it makes much of a difference but I recently was losing coolant from the coolant flange at the back of the engine toward the firewall, so I replaced that and I got a new coolant temp sensor but it was the wrong one, so I took that back got the right one but have not put it in yet. My temp gauge currently stays at Cold all the time even after long drives. Would that affect the way the car runs? Just thought of that on my way home from work. I will be searching this info when I get up! Thanks.

Originally Posted by chocalotstarfish
Have you done a boost leak check? Likely a vac line off or cracked and you are in limp mode. Go to the diy section to learn to do the test...

Old 05-19-2011, 01:45 PM
1st Gear

So I looked into this thread and watched the video. The only problem I have is I do not have a compressor! lol So I do not think I will be able to try this great idea out... I will just look for some signs of leaks and see if I can find anything I guess.. Unless someone has any other ideas?

Old 05-19-2011, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Check all vac lines, for cracks/brittleness check "Check valves" they look like this

they can sometimes get holes in them. All can cause vac leaks which will put you into limp mode.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:56 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

You need a boost gauge to really diagnose the problem, its a very worthwhile investment.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:03 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by chocalotstarfish
Check all vac lines, for cracks/brittleness check "Check valves" they look like this

they can sometimes get holes in them. All can cause vac leaks which will put you into limp mode.
I will check them out as well. I just put the coolant temp sensor in a few minutes ago.

Originally Posted by lm0812
You need a boost gauge to really diagnose the problem, its a very worthwhile investment.
What boost gauge would you recommend? Also are they hard to install? Never done one before. Thanks.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:16 PM

I went with the AWE Tuning center vent boost gauge because it looks the most OEM to me.

Here is their new gauge with LED lighting that matches the facelift gauges.

http://www.awe-tuning.com/products/a...gepod-173.html

I picked up a used AWE gauge off eBay for ~$130 that matches the pre-facelift gauges (red lighting, red needle), and installed it with a generic boost gauge install kit.

Others swear by the VDO gauge which isn't as expensive, but IMO, doesn't look nearly as nice.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:27 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by lm0812
I went with the AWE Tuning center vent boost gauge because it looks the most OEM to me.

Here is their new gauge with LED lighting that matches the facelift gauges.

http://www.awe-tuning.com/products/a...gepod-173.html

I picked up a used AWE gauge off eBay for ~$130 that matches the pre-facelift gauges (red lighting, red needle), and installed it with a generic boost gauge install kit.

Others swear by the VDO gauge which isn't as expensive, but IMO, doesn't look nearly as nice.
Nice, when I clicked on that link it came to a page that said it was for years 2000-2001, does that make a difference if I have a 1999?

Old 05-19-2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by kaotiklivin
Nice, when I clicked on that link it came to a page that said it was for years 2000-2001, does that make a difference if I have a 1999?
I believe the only difference is in the power connection, on the facelift cars you can just tap into the power going to the vent housing lights as its switched to the headlights. Do your vent housings light up? I'm not sure when Audi added those.

Also, the white needle won't match your gauge cluster as I believe the white needles began in 2000, but thats merely cosmetic.

If you're a stickler and want everything to match, try and find one of their older gauges made for the pre-facelift cars.

I ended up installing facelift vent housings and rerouted/cleaned up my wiring to tap into that power source.

Quick Reply: Audi A4 quattro 1.8 turbo aeb loss of power