B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

audi a4 as a first car

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 12:13 PM
1st Gear

my 99.5 1.8 has been extremely reliable so far, I put 20k on the clock since I bought it with 90k and anythig that has happened to it has been self inflected. I changed the timming belt and acessory belts along with the water pump when I first got is so that's where the first $600 went, the clutch was gone and it was already chipped so I can guess that was re cause, $1200 for a southbend stage 5 and lightweight fw fixed that though. but otherwise I've got 108,000 miles on it and I'm about to throw a 28rs on it to double it's stock hp and I feel perfectly confident I won't have any mechanical problems. even if it does break down some time in the future (knock on wood) there's a saying I saw in a thread once that I liked; " I'd rather be pushing my Audi than driving a ford"

Old 08-13-2008, 12:36 PM
Site Moderator

1.8T engine itself is plenty reliable, and might even outrun a 2.8 as far as longevity. Even a modded one.. Thats debateable. But whats not debateable is that 1.8T ignition and emission parts can be flakey.. Coil packs, ICM, MAF, cat, etc. The only yr B5 1.8T that seems to not have such issues is 2000/ATW. I have never heard of ATW coil packs dying, and there is no ICM. It's normally bad coil packs/ICM that cause misfires which kill the cat prematurely.

The sludge issues arent as common as they used to be with people becoming more responsible about timely oil changes, fully synthetic oil, and the basketball sized oil filters.

At this point most all B5's have had their timing belts changed with the updated style tensioner as well. So thats becoming less and less of a problem also.

I'm not saying a 1.8T is for you, but to say "the 2.8 engine is more reliable than the 1.8T engine" is borderline ignorant. But yeah, you will most likely run into less problems with certain engine components w/a 2.8.

Last edited by onepoint8tee; 08-13-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:46 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee
1.8T engine itself is plenty reliable, and might even outrun a 2.8 as far as longevity. Even a modded one.. Thats debateable. But whats not debateable is that 1.8T ignition and emission parts can be flakey.. Coil packs, ICM, MAF, cat, etc. The only yr B5 1.8T that seems to not have such issues is 2000/ATW. I have never heard of ATW coil packs dying, and there is no ICM. It's normally bad coil packs/ICM that cause misfires which kill the cat prematurely.
good point^.. go with a 1.8t when you arent in stop and go traffic its fun to drive... As far as trans. Id rethink the automatic but def. get a tiptronic if you do... 2000 or 2001 is going to be your best bet for a b5, if you find a 99.5 for cheap though some members believe they can be the best b5's

Old 08-13-2008, 03:23 PM

haha my first car was an A4!!, sigh it does look pretty sitting there..... lol haha i would not recommend the 1.8T too much issues with the turbo/vacuum lines/ just the set up that is above most average understanding get the 2.8...haha i managed to support this car for about a year, paying for stupid ****..

- the pulley to the main belt the 4 bolts holding it in...fell out?? lol 1500$
-coil packs-300$
-turbocharger-500$-(did it myself)
- relizing u fucked up somehow installing the turbo and watching 500 dollars go down the drain after 1000 miles- Priceless

i loooovvveee this car but my advice as another 18 year old, 1) expect to pay 2) always have a alternative form of transportation lol :P