B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

audi a4 as a first car

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 04:39 PM
2nd Gear

i wouldnt say it costs that much to maintain an audi. just keep up w the regular **** and it wont be as bad. try to get one w the timing belt and clutch done. as long as you have a job youll be cool. i bought mine when i was 18 and ive been working full time and goin to college since and im straight

Old 08-12-2008, 04:40 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by MrFlippant
Don't listen to these fools! Especially CAB509, he's just bitter ()!

A '96-'97 2.8 12v is an excellent car for someone like you - the engine is as reliable as a block of granite as long as you keep up on oil changes. The only problems I've had with mine so far have been in the suspension, because it's got 135,589 miles on it. So if you get one, expect to replace wheel bearings, control arms, control arm bushings, and tie rods within a year or two. You may also have issues with the steering rack leaking, but you can get a remanufactured one for under $400 from the interweb and install it yourself. I've also replaced both pre-cat O2 sensors. Once you get all that out of the way, a 12v will probably last you another solid 100k miles with just basic preventative maintenance that you would do on any car.

+1...2.8 is reliable

i got a 2.8 cuz i knew if i got a 1.8 id go bt and never have money

Old 08-12-2008, 05:23 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee
Normally I'd say "get a Honda." But if you have ambition and enjoy working on your car, and have a good tool selection, I'd say owning an Audi as a first car could contribute to the best times of your early life. Every car needs a timing belt, etc. at some point, it's just that the procedure is not very straight forward. With help from this site and your own skills, you'd be able to get things done fairly cheap when needed. If you don't plan on having a job in school, or don't have generous parents that can help out with funds in a pinch, skip it. I suppose that goes for any car though.
^+10
I absolutely love my car.. It was my first car also.. Im 18 now and am going to college in florida and am going to be away from garage with all my tools. Ive had the good times and the bad times but it pays off just to drive it... I agree if you find a car make sure all the major stuff is out of the way and done with b4 you purchase it because it will cost it but dont go with a honda or mazda cause as soon as you see a a4 pass you it will kill you haha... My 2 years of owning my audi has def. been some of the best times...

Old 08-12-2008, 05:53 PM
1st Gear

yeah i absolutely HATE hondas with a passion,pretty much almost all japanese cars,except for a few,so how many miles do you think would be good to purchase an a4 with?

Old 08-12-2008, 06:06 PM

There's some people who have 130K+ miles and they put on big *** turbos, like a GT30R. These engines are built tough, you can easily get 200K miles out of it.

But I'd try to shoot for one with under 90K miles. Just make sure the timing belt job has been done / will be done ASAP.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:09 PM
1st Gear

^yeah im gonna see if i can find someone selling theres with all the neccessary work done on it

Old 08-12-2008, 08:30 PM

I'm 18 too and going to college soon. I have a steady job making only about 200 a week, I bought my first Audi, I've had to replace only a few control arms, wheel bearing, and tie rod ends over a year. It's really not that costly if you do all the maintenance yourself as you don't need to buy all of the parts from Audi, eBay does just as good as long as the parts are from a reputable manufacturer or are Audi parts. I bought my car with 93,000 miles and now it's got 106,000 and it runs like it's new, as long as you do all standard maintenance on it and if you treat it nicely it will be nice back. Everything is registered under my name and for a 96 I'm paying $208 per month for my insurance which is full coverage. Go for it man you'll love your car and you'll have the nicest car out of all of your buddies. at least i do! The only thing I do not like about it is the gas it uses, although it's only a V6 the AWD doesn't help with the gas situation. I fill up once a week if I'm constantly shifting at about 2000-2500 RPM's and it costs around $55 to fill up. Hope this helps your decision!

Last edited by 96A4Owner; 08-12-2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:10 PM
tdn
2nd Gear

I'll have to disagree with many of the posts here.

My car has been very reliable thus far. The only problem I can think of is a wheel bearing and coolent temp sensor, two easy fixes that didn't disable the car or cost me much money. I have spent a lot of money on this car, but thats modifying the car, not because it's been trouble. I tackle all the work myself and I so can mess things up every now and then.. for example my coolant temp sensor wasn't all the way in, so I had to pull over and fix it and add coolant. Now my CEL is on because of my test pipe, which I have to add an extra spacer to get rid of.

Basically, if I did not mod my car, this past year I only spent about $130 on problems I didn't cause. $25 for coolant temp sensor, $60 for the wheel bearing, $30 to have it pressed in and $15 for a tool I didn't have. I also have the less reliable 1.8t engine.

First off do your research on these cars (proper oil and intervals, gas, filters etc..) - you're on to a great start by creating this thread, there are plenty of Audi Forums with a wealth of information. Second, find a car that was well taken care of. Third, with your knowledge of cars, do any work you think you can do yourself - and these cars can be very nice to you. But, as with most cars.. you can think you've done your research and still end up with a lemon.

If you want something very cheap to own and insure that is known for reliability.. definitely stick with a honda or toyota as mentioned before.

I love my b5 and I plan on owning it for a long time. If only I haven't spent so much money modifying it.

Last edited by tdn; 08-12-2008 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:44 AM
1st Gear

yeah i mean the maintinance isnt THAT big of a deal to me,but i just dont want it to be too costly,and i plan on getting an automatic,dont wanna drive stick in nyc stop and go traffic lol,but what engine you guys prefer the 1.8 or the v6

Old 08-13-2008, 10:22 AM
4th Gear

1.8T vs. 2.8 is a question for the ages which will likely never be settled to everyone's satisfaction. If you want daily-driver reliability, get a 2.8. If you want track-warrior modability, get a 1.8T.

As for getting an automatic, I think that's just a terrible idea no matter what. But if you MUST get an automatic, look for a 1998 or newer so you can at least have a Tiptronic.

Oh, and before it even comes up in the discussion; yes, you DO want one with quattro.