B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Audi a4 B5 radio install

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 04:46 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi a4 B5 radio install

Hello everyone, pretty new here so excuse me if this question as been addressed before.

I am trying to install a new aftermarket radio, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994. Crutchfield has the next model up.
Here: Crutchfield. I am having trouble figuring out how to wire it. I didn't get a wiring harness when I bought it.
I have an Audi A4 B5 1998 without boss system. Concert or, "Delta" radio. It's a single din.
Harness So my question is, What exactly do I need?
Will I need an antenna adapter? I've heard of people not getting audio to their rear speakers, is there something I might need to prevent that?
If anyone needs clarification on anything please let me know.

Thanks

Old 05-26-2011, 06:26 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bobdiggitydog
Hello everyone, pretty new here so excuse me if this question as been addressed before.

I am trying to install a new aftermarket radio, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994. Crutchfield has the next model up.
Here: Crutchfield. I am having trouble figuring out how to wire it. I didn't get a wiring harness when I bought it.
I have an Audi A4 B5 1998 without boss system. Concert or, "Delta" radio. It's a single din.
Harness So my question is, What exactly do I need?
Will I need an antenna adapter? I've heard of people not getting audio to their rear speakers, is there something I might need to prevent that?
If anyone needs clarification on anything please let me know.

Thanks

I have a 99 audi a4 and I just did my radio a few days ago, you will need a adapter kit its plastic piece, you will need wire harness and the antenna adapter. All these things can be purchased at Best buy.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:38 AM
Administrator

Look at the underside of the left rear speaker in the trunk. If it has an amp on it, which is likely, then you have a partial Bose system like my 99 had (before I ripped all of it out and replaced it with better gear). In that case, you need a Metra preamp wiring harness. Got mine on www.cardomain.com for under $20. It has direct wire connections for the front speakers since they run off the head unit's internal amp, and the rear speaker leads have patch cable plugs to plug into the rear line out RCA jacks on the back of the head unit so that you feed a line-level signal to the rear amp. Trying to direct-wire the rear amped speakers from the head unit's internal amp overdrives them and shuts down the amp (that's why you heard of people losing rear sound).

Old 05-28-2011, 08:12 PM
1st Gear

Devil, do you by chance have a picture of the adapter I need? I bought the wiring harness from metro 70-1784. Do I need another adapter to run to the back? This one.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:17 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

There's a partial Bose system?

Old 05-28-2011, 11:57 PM
2nd Gear

i think theres an amped regular stereo and an amped bose stereo? and a regular non amped?

Old 05-29-2011, 01:27 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Audisaurus
i think theres an amped regular stereo and an amped bose stereo? and a regular non amped?
My guess then is that I have an amped regular stereo. I know I don't have Bose. And I know that my rear deck speakers worked before I tried to install a new head unit. Am I missing an adapter? I have the one linked in my earlier post. The seemingly knowledgable lady at BestBuy's Mobile audio department handed the harness to me with confidence.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:22 AM
Administrator

She was uninformed. You need something like this:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...mpaign=froogle

That gives you the white and gray direct speaker connections for up front, and the four preamp-terminated leads for the rear.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:47 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
She was uninformed. You need something like this:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...mpaign=froogle

That gives you the white and gray direct speaker connections for up front, and the four preamp-terminated leads for the rear.
I appreciate it man. My back speakers are blown from the previous owner, so my plan was to replace them. But obviously I'd either need to run new wires to the head unit back to the rear deck, or run the rear speakers off of a new amp. So there isn't any point in getting that extra piece if I run new wires. Do you have any recommendations on how to run new wires? I'm not worried about the hook up as much as I am the running of the wire. I hate tearing my trim up, and it looks like its on there pretty good. I don't trust an audio place enough either.

Also, how many watts is that rear stock amp? If I wired the adapter wiring harness, could I keep the original wires and run new speakers off of the existing amp? Rear speakers Here

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks again for the help everyone.

Last edited by bobdiggitydog; 05-29-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:50 PM

I wired my entire audio system (4 speakers + sub, all with separate amplifiers), here's what I did:
-all signal and speaker wires are under the trim pieces on passenger side
-power wires under the trim on driver side
-speaker wires to the front speakers were run through the existing wire port. It's not difficult.
-amplifiers are mounted under the rear deck inside the trunk. They don't really take away from usable trunk space.

Removing the trim isn't bad at all. I've pulled mine up many times. There is a DIY somewhere for removing it, and I'm trying to find the link.

Personally I wouldn't trust the stock rear amp. It's TINY. Maybe good for 5-10watts RMS as a guess. Since your speakers are rated up to 55watts RMS that amp would not be doing them justice.

Quick Reply: Audi a4 B5 radio install