B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Audi A4 B5 Model HID Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 05:13 PM
Default Audi A4 B5 Model HID Install

Well, I recently got my HID's in the mail.. going to install them today. (My Audi didnt come stock with HID's) You guys have any suggestions? Anything you have come across while installing? So far I am happy with how fast they came and the price.. hopefully the install goes well.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:51 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Audi A4 B5 Model HID Install

yeaaaaaaa finding a good place to put your ballast, lol but it took me like 30 min i think o less but is not that hard

Old 06-19-2008, 06:52 PM
5th Gear

ya try to mount your ballast as far away from your engine as possible. if you have the one piece oem headlights, you'll need to drill a hole on the cap that you take off to get to the bulb. i'm not sure what you have to do for a 2 piece headlight though

Old 06-19-2008, 06:56 PM
1st Gear

same thing for the 2 piece... just did them last night

Old 06-19-2008, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Yep, either way with the OEM lights, a hole has to be drilled. Depending on the model of the car, mounting the ballast can be a little pain or very easy. On the driver's side, you can put it immediately behind the PS reservoir, between that and the ABS module. On the passenger side, it's a little more tricky. If you have an air intake and a 2.8L engine, there is a bolt that was used to support the OEM airbox, mounted into the fender, and that's a great place to mount it. For a recent 1.8T HID install done at my house, I did the driver's side and Hiwords did the passenger side. Due to how close the airbox sat to the headlight, he removed the headlight and mounted the ballast inside the fender behind the light, and we ran the wiring in from there. Not difficult at all to do, but you may have to think along those lines in order to mount it. You can also mount the ballasts below the headlight support frame (part of the front structure of the car, but it involves a little trial and error for placement and drilling holes for mounting bolts. Ultimately that's the cleanest way to do it - the tradeoff is the extra time for install.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:08 AM
1st Gear

pretty much covered it ...I did the same as the guy above on mounting but on the passanger side you can mount the ballast above and to the rear of the stock airbox

take your time drilling out the holes in the plastic light covers make sure the grommets just fit..you dont want any water leaking in there

good luck..you will be stoked best upgrade for the money on headlights! They look great and function wayyyyy better

Old 06-20-2008, 03:10 PM

Wow thanks for all the great help guys! I called the company where I got the lights ( www.xenoneyes.com ) and they helped me with the few questions I had. I have only seen the lights during the day so I cannot wait to throw them on at night! Can't WAIT!

Also, i would recommend the company I got it from as there is always someone there answering the phone. Gotta love that.
Thanks again!