B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Audi A4 2.8 1/4 mile time?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 05:42 PM
I'm make believe

^ we will just ignore you since you just seem to bitch about everything and continue with what we want.

I still, like always never get Jonus. He always wants to come on and post how bad these engine are and every time someone has to put him in his place. This time its luckily Mike. Plus i still dont get this so called "ricer math". How is comparing hp/L ricer? The higher the hp/L the higher the cyl pressure becomes and makes having a strong block VERY important along with the internals. Since Mike has shown that he can make 400hp/L, thats way more impressive than seeing a 800chp V8 that has 7L of disp. It doesnt take nearly as strong engine or internals to achieve that. There is now a couple cars making over the 700whp mark from ForcedFed Engineering. Soon that will be eclipseds since Ed there will be running a T4 with plans to surpass the 800whp mark. And keeping with the hp/L theme, stock evo's engines make 500awhp all the time and are just about all DD that sacrafice very little to get there. Not to mention that community has seen several 900-1000awhp cars and that number continues to get pushed daily by the people over at Buscher and AMS. The VW/Audi scene in the last year has finally stepped up and will be joining the likes of Honda and Mitsu with many 10, 9 and even 8 sec cars in the new year of 2, that is a fact.

So recapping what I, Sean1.8t, and Mike here have told you many times, there are tons of 1.8t's running 350-400whp daily with no issues and that run 11-12sec 1/4's and many of those on street tires

Old 09-04-2008, 06:00 PM
3rd Gear
Smile

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee
The reason I challenge him on his points is because the majority of his posts are motivated by how the 2.8 is Superior to the 1.8T. Right or wrong, it's pretty much the main focus of is posting and is beyond old. If I come off as touchy, it's because it seems like he only logs on when he see's an opportunity to talk about why the 2.8 could be better than the alternative. Go ahead and research his posts.. It's almost spam-like.
But anyways!

thats definately not the only time i log.. I'm on here every day.. check your records, im sure you can do that. And i back the 2.8?? of course i do, i own one. Just like the 1.8 owners back up there cars.

and its definately not spam-like. I state very good facts as to why the 2.8 is a good alternative, and it seems like all the 1.8 guys get upset when i do it.. but anyways

I get plenty of PM's from people with 2.8's, even 1.8's, thanking me for my posts and asking for advice, so maybe the only person my posts are getting old to is you.

and it doesnt take "three times as much" to get a 2.8 into the 13's. PES G2 is now $3250 and that direct bolt on will put you into the 13's... sure, your just about maxed out right there unless you go nitrous. to get a 1.8 into the 13's it takes about 3k also. So in my eyes there even "if" 13's are your goal, but you get the nicer A4 model, so if 13's are your goal than the 2.8 is the way to go, if you want more than 13's than a 1.8 is the way to go. I like 1.8's, i just prefer the 2.8

Old 09-04-2008, 06:06 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by AteUrV8
thats definately not the only time i log.. I'm on here every day.. check your records, im sure you can do that. And i back the 2.8?? of course i do, i own one. Just like the 1.8 owners back up there cars.

and its definately not spam-like. I state very good facts as to why the 2.8 is a good alternative, and it seems like all the 1.8 guys get upset when i do it.. but anyways

I get plenty of PM's from people with 2.8's, even 1.8's, thanking me for my posts and asking for advice, so maybe the only person my posts are getting old to is you.

and it doesnt take "three times as much" to get a 2.8 into the 13's. PES G2 is now $3250 and that direct bolt on will put you into the 13's... sure, your just about maxed out right there unless you go nitrous. to get a 1.8 into the 13's it takes about 3k also. So in my eyes there even "if" 13's are your goal, but you get the nicer A4 model, so if 13's are your goal than the 2.8 is the way to go, if you want more than 13's than a 1.8 is the way to go. I like 1.8's, i just prefer the 2.8
You know, I won't lie... I have come to realize that my aggression towards you stems from the "SIKWIDIT" slogan... I will just never get it. But thanks for laying it all on the table like that. I was gone from the site for months a while back and didn't get to see all the help you were lending then. I needed to hear you say those things. Sorry buddy

Old 09-04-2008, 06:10 PM
I'm make believe

So that covers the 30v guys, what about the 12v? Since this section is composed mainly of them, you still stand by your comments? People dont say 1.8t's are better because we have them, we say it because you can easily find any part that you need for them to get you to ANY power level you choose. A 12v has basically only nitrous or complete one off stuff and the 30 is the same plus a supercharger that puts it to its limits before having to spend a crap load more to get it to where you would be with a 1.8t. That is the point people are trying to make, the choices with a 1.8t are almost limitless compared to a 2.8. The 2.8's stregth is having less parts making it more reliable and more powerful w/o having to spend a dime, but its surpassed with just a chip on the 1.8t.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:05 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mike@DTH
You are missing the point and the huge issue, your never going to get a 1000hp LS1 into an A4. Other issue is that your going to spend plenty of money trying. There is already a guy buiding a S4 drag car running RWD with a solid rear end with huge slicks, car isn't even done yet and he has nearly spent $200,000.

Sorry to tell you but I make 800chp now and am looking to push my little 1.8 block (2032cc) to 900chp.
it would fit. from the firewall to the radiator (without fans) is about 27inch. an ls1 or an genIII small block is 24 inch from the serpentine belt to the back of the engine. the ls1 is also alot smaller than the v6 up top because its not a DOHC engine. there is space without the front c/v's for twin gt28's, you could likely even fit up to twin gt35's in there.

200,000$ ?!?! wow! what a sucker!

quick rundown of what it would cost me with an ls engine:

$2000 built engine
$1800 built transmission
$2200 2 X gt35r's
$900 A1000 fuel system
$600 Injectors
$500 stand alone harness and ecm
$2000 misc gaskets, mounts and other junk

thats like $10000, maybe add 3k for a solid rear and slicks and you have a 8-9 sec a4 easy.

cincyTT, i never said the 1.8t is bad (well maybe months ago but not anymore). im just saying if your building an all out 1/4 mile car, there are cheaper and better ways to get in the single digits. its great that you guys are building 800 hp 1.8t but gm has been making blocks that warrantied to 2500hp for 5 years now.

the difference is, a 500 hp 1.8t is a pretty modded out 1.8t. a 500 hp genIII small block is just bolt ons.

btw the fastest 5.7l ls1 does the 1/4 mile in 6.866 sec @ 205.47 MPH and makes an estimated 3000hp. thats with the factory 5.7l displacement. there are people making more hp with bored over engines.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:37 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by jonus079

quick rundown of what it would cost me with an ls engine:

$2000 built engine
$1800 built transmission
$2200 2 X gt35r's
$900 A1000 fuel system
$600 Injectors
$500 stand alone harness and ecm
$2000 misc gaskets, mounts and other junk

thats like $10000, maybe add 3k for a solid rear and slicks and you have a 8-9 sec a4 easy.
One number you forgot to factor into this equation and which would probably be the singe most expensive item is the labor. Most people who are having this kind of work done are not doing it themselves and that includes Mike.

So when Mike throws numbers out there he is including install labor, whereas you are not. Labor on a venture like this would be high as it has never been done and there would definitely be some trial and error as well as R&D involved which would put your estimate a lot higher whereas there is no R&D to make a 1.8l fit.

Again I go back to a project that is in the works right now to fit a 4.2l V8 Audi motor into a B5 chassis and it is a long and tedious process that has to be factored into the overall equation because:

1) it has not been done before and needs to be researched,

2) The B5 was never designed to house a V8 motor or be RWD, and

3) You stated that Mike had ruined his car because he had reduced it to shell when in actuality he did not, but that's exactly what you would be doing if you tried to but an LS1 motor into a B5 chassis.

Last edited by fred2ka4; 09-04-2008 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:39 PM
3rd Gear

I'll take a 350awhp A4 that I'd use as a DD and drive it to work, to a restaurant and the dragstrip every stinking mile any day over a choppy 350. Its pointless that you're discussing a swap of this nature in an Audi forum. You think you're being smart and creative by taking a well-known, old as hell configuration of an engine to stick it into any ol car, but you're not being too smart. You're just going off your own protocol mod patterns. I know 5.7's are great engines, no one is taking that away from them, they've been around since dinosaurs became extinct, but just cuz they're cheap and powerful doesn't mean every damn car should have one implanted in the engine bay or else it's a waste of money. The beauty of a 1000hp 1.8 is that it came from a 1.8. That's impressive in a league all of its own. Shoot, using a 100hp/litre as a daily driver reliably is amazing. And I'm a Nismo guy, and I know of RB's and SR's that'll walk your 5.3 all day long. Nissan shell, Nissan heart, no douschbaggery. Thank you

Last edited by euro_2nr; 09-04-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:42 PM
1st Gear

oh i didnt know that. yea those numbers were what it would cost form me. still ill do it for anyone for around 15-20k and can give you a turn around of 1 month. can you really put a price on having the fastest a4?? pm me if your interested

btw the ls engines share nothing in common with the older 350's other than similar displacement numbers. its a complete redesign, none of the parts are swappable. RB's are respectible. SR's...not so much. it would have to be one modded out sr to beat me.

Last edited by jonus079; 09-04-2008 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:02 PM
3rd Gear

^^^ duh... it'd had to be modded. Wouldn't be too fair now would it? And it doesn't get any better than a RBTT in a Nissan. RB's gawd

Old 09-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Banned

What happened to imagination????????? LS1 V8 Audi A4 B5 dragster? Why not? From some of the stuff I have helped build, I don't see that as being unattainable, but ultimately unpractical for anything but drags. Hell, we built a 3" lift Quigley 4x4 1ton 1998 E350 van for $2000 dollars out of 2 junkyard vans and a wreck. Amazing shop vehicle that can pull the HPA VR6 drag bug or the Callaway turbo mail truck or one of the group 2 and 5 rally VW's with style. It may end up not so pretty on the inside, but it would fly. Probably need to drop in some frame rails for the torque twist.

What about this? 1000+ HP 5 cylinder 20v longitude mounted Audi engine with a "Quattro" (not 4 motion) drive train in an MKIV GTi. That should really not fit..... But it does because someone could imagine it...... Check out the video. You most likely won't understand (given it's in German) but you get the idea. Great video of the design.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0x2M...eature=related

Quick Reply: Audi A4 2.8 1/4 mile time?