B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Audi A4 2.8 1/4 mile time?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 11:33 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jonus079
simply put, the 1.8t will most likely hit a wall around 800-1000hp. a genIII small block will do multiple times that. so its great that your making 300 or 400 hp per liter but your still gonna lose against a 1000hp contender no matter what size engine they have. at the end of the day an ls1, or any genIII v8 will make more power than a 1.8t and i think we can all agree on that.

I don't think anybody has denied the fact that the LS1 is gonna be able to put down more power. That's not the argument really. From what I gather, knowing Mike's wonderful knowledge of the 1.8T, he's just kinda been trying to tell you that it doesn't matter whether or not you can fit the V8 in there. If you can, it means that you could have an A4 with a whole lot more horsepower than our little 4cyl. But the whole idea behind building the 1.8T motor up is to see what we can do with it. Sure, we could do a motor swap for something bigger and get more power. That's what happens a lot in all sorts of other "tuner scenes". But this is the Audi-lovers paradise around these parts. And the way we usually do it is by keeping the stock power plant and going from there. At least then we can be more innovative with our thinking. We can try and find different means to a common end to make our cars unique. We all want more power. We all do it in different ways. But with these cars, a V8 just isn't how it's done.

That's all that's trying to be said really....

Old 09-03-2008, 12:17 PM
2nd Gear

To me it's just funny that you, (Jonus079) continue to argue your point here on an Audi forum, how great the LS1 engine is. What response do you think we would get if we went to a Chevy forum and tried to tell everyone there how great the Audi/VW 1.8t engine is ........

It's not about taking something from another manufacturer and shoving it in the bay of our cars, it's about pushing the limits of what came in the car. I showed pictures of engine swaps ranging from 2.8VR6 motors to 4.2l V8 motors but they are still Audi motors.

Even though it has been done a lot, I know a lot of people who would cringe at the fact that you put a Chevy motor in a 240 when there is a perfectly good little Nissan motor that would, and has, worked perfectly in that body. You may have heard of it, it's called an sr20det and they have pushed that motor to over 1000hp and it is a 2.0l so your comments about hitting a wall have already been proven false in the 4 cylinder community. The R&D into the 1.8t has only scratched the surface as companies like 034 and people like Mike continue to push the limits, and believe me they aren't the only ones.

My point is while no one here disputes some of the claims you are making, you are talking to Audi enthusiasts, even though many of us including myself are also automotive enthusiasts. And while we can appreciate other automotive brands and achievements we drive Audi's, so don't take it the wrong way if you don't find a lot of sympathy on this forum for the LS1 engine as we are a little biased .......

Last edited by fred2ka4; 09-03-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:22 PM
1st Gear

I can understand that. btw the rb and vg engines are way better than the sr engines

Old 09-03-2008, 01:47 PM
2nd Gear

I can understand that. btw the rb and vg engines are way better than the sr engines
I would use the term different as opposed to better. The RB an VG motors are inline 6 and V6 configuration where the SR is a 4 cylinder motor. That would be like me saying that a V12 is better than a V8.

It just depends on the application that the motor is being used for and that's why mike was brining in the so called "ricer math." Because when you say how superior a v8 is compared to a 4 cylinder the same argument could be said of a v12 compared to a v8 and since the two cannot be directly compared, HP per liter is a fair comparison as both motors are measured in liters weather it is a 1.8l or a 5.7l

But don't get me wrong as both the RB and VG motors are great engines.

Last edited by fred2ka4; 09-03-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:24 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Mike@DTH
700hp out of a 5.3 liter? Thats a whole 132hp/liter, not exactly mind blowing. A GTrs elim on a stock 1.8 makes 222hp/liter. Now let me know when that 5.3 is making 1177hp on stock internals.
meh my last car made 153hp per liter stock. it was a 1.3 liter turbo rotary. I'll just just change the subject of everything and make this a bigger argument by saying that but this could get good lol. and proof that I had it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JySGC18ayoA That was 100% stock and it was from the 90's... imo that was very impressive numbers for a cheaper sports car in the 90's. Just drop in a 3 rotor engine w/ a really big turbo and your audi will go below 10's easy. and the turbo will even fit w/ room to spare hahaha.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:21 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by fred2ka4
To me it's just funny that you, (Jonus079) continue to argue your point here on an Audi forum, how great the LS1 engine is. What response do you think we would get if we went to a Chevy forum and tried to tell everyone there how great the Audi/VW 1.8t engine is ........

It's not about taking something from another manufacturer and shoving it in the bay of our cars, it's about pushing the limits of what came in the car. I showed pictures of engine swaps ranging from 2.8VR6 motors to 4.2l V8 motors but they are still Audi motors.

Even though it has been done a lot, I know a lot of people who would cringe at the fact that you put a Chevy motor in a 240 when there is a perfectly good little Nissan motor that would, and has, worked perfectly in that body. You may have heard of it, it's called an sr20det and they have pushed that motor to over 1000hp and it is a 2.0l so your comments about hitting a wall have already been proven false in the 4 cylinder community. The R&D into the 1.8t has only scratched the surface as companies like 034 and people like Mike continue to push the limits, and believe me they aren't the only ones.

My point is while no one here disputes some of the claims you are making, you are talking to Audi enthusiasts, even though many of us including myself are also automotive enthusiasts. And while we can appreciate other automotive brands and achievements we drive Audi's, so don't take it the wrong way if you don't find a lot of sympathy on this forum for the LS1 engine as we are a little biased .......

Amen to that, those people would laugh and make fun of are "fancy european motors" and say we drive ***** cars. And BTW, at least we accept the ls1 as a decent engine, every one I have ever talked to at a car show with a ls1 camaro is a total dick head, and they could care less about anything but other ls1 camaros. The cobra mustang guys are usually pretty cool though, and they laugh at those hard asses with there "slomaros", lol!

Old 09-04-2008, 10:50 AM

Im still wondering why ppl are arguing over this still, kinda pointless topic. Post title states 2.8 quater mile time. If it isnt related go start your own post F&@k. stop leaching other ppl`s threads :@

Old 09-04-2008, 11:19 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by t0mat3
Im still wondering why ppl are arguing over this still, kinda pointless topic. Post title states 2.8 quater mile time. If it isnt related go start your own post F&@k. stop leaching other ppl`s threads :@

First of all, the question about what a 2.8 would run in a 1/4 mile had been answered many times and secondly a broad false statement about our cars had been made that needed to be responded to.

It did get a little off topic and if I had anything to do with that I apologize but I could not idly sit by and have someone tell me how slow our cars are and that none of us should be worried about 1/4 mile times. I would hope you would feel the same.

And just so this thread is not off topic again:

Question:

Originally Posted by night_rider
Anyone knows what time A4 2.8 does on 1/4 mile? automatic or manual....whichever
Answer:

1)
Originally Posted by ouzo 2
probably like 16 seconds
2)
Originally Posted by A4 Effort
As mentioned above, it would probably be around the 16 mark
3)
Originally Posted by Lebe Frei
not sure on 1/4 id guess around 16 too maybe a bit less with a good driver but ive been to a local 1/8 and get low 10's if that helps any
4)
Originally Posted by Mike@DTH
Even with a PES SC making over 300whp it is still only going to run mid to high 13's. That is about .5+ seconds slower then a 1.8t making the same power.
And here was the post that started it all:

no one with an A4 (1.8t or 2.8) should be concerned with 1/4 mile times. They're all too slow.

Last edited by fred2ka4; 09-04-2008 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:37 AM
4th Gear

oh boy, i knew it was just a matter of time before someone brought ricer math into this. fact of the matter is a 1.8t is a 1.8l engine. it doesn't matter if its making 400 hp per liter. your still only gonna make around 800hp even if its bored over. i dont feel like making this argument over again so ill refer you to post 25 & 30 here : https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...t=85515&page=3

simply put, the 1.8t will most likely hit a wall around 800-1000hp. a genIII small block will do multiple times that. so its great that your making 300 or 400 hp per liter but your still gonna lose against a 1000hp contender no matter what size engine they have. at the end of the day an ls1, or any genIII v8 will make more power than a 1.8t and i think we can all agree on that.

so have i. whats your point?

You are missing the point and the huge issue, your never going to get a 1000hp LS1 into an A4. Other issue is that your going to spend plenty of money trying. There is already a guy buiding a S4 drag car running RWD with a solid rear end with huge slicks, car isn't even done yet and he has nearly spent $200,000.

Sorry to tell you but I make 800chp now and am looking to push my little 1.8 block (2032cc) to 900chp.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:53 PM

ok now that everyone has gotten that out of there system, how about we post stuff about the 2.8 now, no more chev. motors or 1.8t's cuz this thread is suppose to be about the 2.8, not to be disrespectful but its not that hard to make a new thread and go argue on that one instead lol

Quick Reply: Audi A4 2.8 1/4 mile time?