B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

The Audi A4

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 06:34 PM
Default The Audi A4

Well I'm selling my old car. A 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse because it isn't practical. The two doors are annoying and there isn't enough power. I made the mistake buying the car because of it's looks. I don't want to make that mistake again. I am thinking of buying a 1998-1999 Audi A4 now. Is there any complaints that you guys have about the car. I know about maintenance has to be kept up, but besides that anything else? Is there enough room? Power? A good daily driver all year round?

-Thanks.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:48 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MacXC
Well I'm selling my old car. A 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse because it isn't practical. The two doors are annoying and there isn't enough power. I made the mistake buying the car because of it's looks. I don't want to make that mistake again. I am thinking of buying a 1998-1999 Audi A4 now. Is there any complaints that you guys have about the car. I know about maintenance has to be kept up, but besides that anything else? Is there enough room? Power? A good daily driver all year round?

-Thanks.
Depends what engine you get turbo or V6. I own a V6- change oil regularly with synthetic, coolant changes every two years. Quick car, handles like it is on rails. What kind of question is "daily all year round?" Of course it is, hence the quattro. Get good snows and steelies, the car will outperform any 4x4 out there.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:58 PM

If you want reliability get the v6 if you want speed and crap tons of bolt ons get the 1.8T. I have the V6, enough power for me but I am only going to mildly tune my car and am not out on the streets for blood. This is my first Audi and I came from an 02 civic, I love it already. I cam from a 2 door too and I love having four doors now, plenty of room. Get a quattro. Also it is a good idea to get a car with the timing belt recently done it would be real shitty to buy a car and a month later dump $800 into from the start. The only complaint I have about my 97 is the cup holders are about the poorest design I have ever seen in any vehicle. Of course Ferrari's dont have any at all but you would never think of drinking anything buy a bottle of water in one..... an Audi is not a Ferrari, bad Audi bad...

Last edited by DankesterA4; 06-21-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:01 PM

Thanks, this is really helpful. Now it's time to sell my eclipse!

Old 06-21-2009, 10:02 PM
5th Gear

well lack of power would be one but is more practical than an eclipse. the car pulls rly well on the highway but starts up a little slow. it'll corner way better than the eclipse and much more fun to drive because you won't car how fast you enter the corners as much. those eclipse can be pretty quick if you put a little money into it though but the engines are built from like plastic lol

Old 06-22-2009, 12:32 AM

Four-doors and a backseat are "spacious" by comparison to an Eclipse, but long-legged people don't go in the back very easily. Mine's an Avant (wagon) so there's cargo room, but it's spacious by compact wagon standards, not cavernous. We like it that way, but if you're really looking for a lot of room it mightn't top your list. As for power--you're looking at a manual, right? A 1.8T with tip isn't going to feel like a powerhouse unless your Eclipse was a real dog.