B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Audi A4 1.8t Modded Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 09:59 AM
1st Gear
Default Audi A4 1.8t Modded Purchase

My first post, and I'm planning on buying an A4 1.8t.

I found this one already modded. I drove it and looked it over pretty carefully, and am having a local speed shop that specializes in Audi's look it over. Just thought I'd get your opinions.

It is a 2000 1.8t front wheel drive, 126,000 miles, 5 speed manual, black leather interior, ac, stage 3 garrett gt2860rs turbo, stage 4 clutch, full 3inch exhaust, intercooler, greddy boost control, 650cc injectors, JBT 6 piston big brake kit, 18 inch ADR Design rims painted same color as car on brand new Talon tires, full Koni coilovers, HID headlights, S4 front bumper, boost gauge, afr gauge.

If it checks out ok with the shop what do you think would be a good price? And what do you think I should r&r first to ensure longevity? timing belt, plugs?

Thanks for your help.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:29 AM
1st Gear

Get a Quattro

Old 04-08-2011, 10:43 AM
1st Gear

I agree with you. But that wasn't the question. If I had the same exact car in quattro, I would take the quattro. This car screams as it is, torque steer is a mother, and I've got a lot of experience with fast cars. I'll probably buy a quattro with very low miles and swap all the parts onto it eventually. But for now...

Old 04-08-2011, 11:13 AM
1st Gear

I understood the question and my answer remains the same. Buy a Quattro if you want FWD buy a Honda. Why buy 2 cars when you can just buy the right one the first time?

Old 04-08-2011, 11:40 AM
1st Gear

I'm really not trying to be obtuse. But don't you think if I had the same cars lined up I would take the quattro? (I would). The point is this car has some serious mods done to it, all very expensive, and I can buy it for less than the price of combined mods. I can buy this car for less than 5 grand. So I plan on buying it, if the shop oks it.

The question is what do people think it's worth? And after I buy it, what should I replace first?

My plan is once i've had it a year or so, buy a later model 1.8t quattro with lower mileage, swap all the goodies over, and then sell the higher mileage car.

Not trying to be argumentative, just want you to see where I'm coming from.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:47 AM
1st Gear

If you have disposable income I guess that makes sense. Not the route that I would go or that many members on here would suggest but to each his own. As for your questions check the sticky at the top (FAQ) that will answer your questions with the exception of how much people think it's worth.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

Installing a Quattro system was recently discussed briefly.

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=167183

Personally, I would pass on the car and find a Quattro.

Last edited by BaseDrifter; 04-08-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:14 PM
2nd Gear

I bought a FWD A4 then hopped on the fourms. Twas a nice car and looked into it it sucked. I then one week later bought a quattro and wouldnt ever go back. Its literally night and day. If you look some more you will find one with quattro for your price. Have fun driving in the snow or rain you will regret it, i bought my fwd in the snoy december and barely made it home going 40. I bought my quattro and blasted down the snowy highway going 70 with no problems. An audi with fwd is a mistake.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:21 PM
1st Gear

So everyone thinks it's better to buy a 5 grand quattro with no mods than a 5 grand fwd car with about 10 grand worth of mods for 5 grand? I'm not sure I see the logic, but I'm thinking maybe fwd is so bad it might be worth 10 grand.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:24 PM
2nd Gear

I see what you're saying, OP. Like Dios said, if you have the disposable income and want to do things that way, then go for it. I however, would suggest passing. With a car that heavily modded, even if your shop OK's it, chances are that the previous owner who did all the mods probably beat the $hit out of it, and by that I don't mean necessarily tracked it or engaged in any form, legal or not, of a race, but by having mods for extra power, he probably had a really heavy foot in stop and go traffic, redlined it a few times, probably experimented with brake boosting etc etc.

When a motor is pushed that hard without being built (internally) to handle that kind of abuse, its going to take more than a timing belt to keep it running; you're probably going to be looking at fried rings, compression leaks, and possibly even a sludge problem (unless the previous owner can show you documentation of frequent oil changes) and any number of other things that can go out on the internals of an engine such as seals, tensioners, carriers, lifters etc.

In the long run, you're probably going to see a lot more problems than you're currently bargaining for so you'd be far better advised to pass on this one, find a low mileage 1.8t with Quattro from some old man that probably only hit boost when getting on the freeway, for cheap (not that hard to come by these days since just about any B5 1.8t you can find is over 10 years old now (I found at least 3 2000 1.8t's with barely over 100k for $3700-$4500 just in my own ten mile radius a couple weeks ago)) and put the money you would be spending on replacing all of the internals on this FWD mod bucket, into supplying new, un-abused mods, for an un-abused motor, and it'll be a lot less headache, and probably end up costing you even less money when its all said and done.

/my $0.02

Quick Reply: Audi A4 1.8t Modded Purchase