B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

anything special to changing a wheel bearing yourself?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 04:59 PM
Administrator

If you use a press, you'll need a big one. We have a 20 ton press that works great. Conversely, we tried it on a 6 ton once and blew the frame out. Many shops will heat the new bearing up to help get it in, but I think this compromises the seals on the wheel bearing, leading to premature death later on, sooner than it should. Heat speeds up the process, but isn't required to get a new bearing in.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:29 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
If you use a press, you'll need a big one. We have a 20 ton press that works great. Conversely, we tried it on a 6 ton once and blew the frame out. Many shops will heat the new bearing up to help get it in, but I think this compromises the seals on the wheel bearing, leading to premature death later on, sooner than it should. Heat speeds up the process, but isn't required to get a new bearing in.
Heat the bearing or the spindle? If you heat the bearing that would expand it a little making it harder to get in...

I've done tons of interference bearings on ATVs that "should" require a press. A trick is to freeze the bearings (put them in the freezer once you get them) the bearing will shrink a tiny bit.

Then tap it in using a socket that is the same size as the outer race on the bearing. With this method they usually go quite easily.

I've not done it on the Audi yet, but I plan on trying it without a press when I need to. The right size socket, patience, and a BFH usually does the trick.

Too bad these aren't tapered bearings...

Old 01-31-2012, 05:44 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the tips! I'll hopefully be ordering a pair tonight ($40 for a pair vs. $75 for a single bearing is worth ordering online to me) and I'm thinking once I tear into the assembly I'll get a better Idea of what everyone's talking about. I prefer to do my own maintenance on my cars so thanks again and if there's anything else let me know!

Old 01-31-2012, 06:40 PM
1st Gear

Where in MI are you? I'm in Oxford and have done all 4 in mine over the years. I could help if you get stuck.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:43 PM
1st Gear

I live in Pleasant lake just outside of Jackson, and the shop is in Michigan center. I think that's quite a distance from oxford, not positive though
I appreciate the offer though

Old 02-01-2012, 11:17 AM
2nd Gear

Heat does make metal expand but it also makes It more malleable, something to do with molecules moving faster or some crazy scientific **** like that. Anyway, applying heat to a "stuck" part will usually help it come out easier.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:27 AM
1st Gear

Yes, heat can help with a seized part, or in the case of a bearing if you heat the carrier it (the carrier) will expand a little so the bearing comes out a little easier...

But heating a bearing to put it in (unless the bearing goes over a shaft, and not in a carrier) I'm not sure is the best idea. I wouldn't want to make my bearings more "malleable", or "bigger" especially if they are interference fit, as these are.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:00 PM
1st Gear

Dont forget about the alignment. I did my pass. rear and started to drive after i was all done and my steering wheel was 90 degrees to the left lol...string and good eyes saved me 80$ for the alignment

Old 02-02-2012, 05:50 PM
1st Gear

Alright it sounds like there's more to this than I thought?
can anyone just give me a very brief rundown of everything involved with replacing a bearing?