B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

For anyone who thinks they've blown or have a blown Bose speaker

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Smile

Thank you very much for posting this. I just recently bought a pre-owned 01' A4 1.8T B5 Quattro and my front passenger speaker sounded like it was blown. I'm going to buy some Krazy glue today and open up on door panel and hopefully this is the problem. Just in case your Bose speakers are blown DO NOT GO TO AUDI (Stealership). I got a quote for $200 for 1 SPEAKER!!! I got a quote from Bose automotive directly and it's only $40 for a Bose speaker!!! Here is Bose Automotive information:

In the US call:
1-800-231-2673

Outside the US call:
1-508-766-6885

Hours:
Monday – Friday: 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM ET

For information about our other, non-automotive products call:
1-800-999-2673 (1-800-WWW-BOSE)
Outside the US call:
1-508-766-1099

Thanks again for this post.. If it is a blown speaker and you want to get a Bose speaker go and contact Bose Automotive to save some $$$

Old 04-03-2010, 03:56 PM
2nd Gear

i took out my front driver side speaker to see if it was the dust cap, and it wasnt but after i put it back in it worked again. but now it doesnt so i am just getting another speaker to put in there. ohh and btw sometimes when you turn the bass up too much you might think that the rear speakers are blown but its the little overhead lights in the back that rattle from the vibration LOL

Old 10-08-2010, 07:26 AM
1st Gear

For anyone who thinks they might have a dust cap issue, but don't (and the sound is not electronic in nature):

I found this thread and thought my problem might be a loose dust cap. Upon removing the speaker, the dust cap was solid as a rock. So I poked and prodded a little, found by gently pressing down on the cone on one side I got a scratchy rub. Pressing up from underneath no sound at all.

Googled around a bit and found this is called 'voice coil rub' due to heat or some other issue. Recommended repair is to take apart the speaker, shim the coil in place (centered), loosen the 'spider' with some acetone (or nail polish remover) and let sit overnight.

Since I could not find a way to easily take apart the speaker, I just swabbed the spider top with some acetone, pushed the cone in what seemed like the logical direction to get rid of the rub, and then blasted the speaker with a blow dryer to hasten the process.

Pushed the cone again in the same place as before, and the scratchy rub seemed to be gone. Reinstalled, so far so good! If it comes back, I'll just call Bose Automotive and get the cheap (but OEM) replacement.

Update: Same problem ended up coming back after only a month, so I got the replacement from Bose. My opinion is if you have voice coil rub, and can spare $40, replace the thing to keep down the number of times you remove the door panel!

Last edited by catmandu; 01-31-2012 at 05:40 AM. Reason: final solution
Old 10-08-2010, 12:26 PM
2nd Gear

i had to fix one of the dust caps on my sub, but the glue didnt hold up and the noise is back!! haha need to get on that and use some different glue

Old 10-08-2010, 08:49 PM
1st Gear

How do I get this in to the DIY section? Seems like it keeps coming up.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:29 PM
1st Gear

Excellent thread!!!

I just pulled my passenger door speaker and found the dust cap intact. Appears to be voice coil is scraping. Seems much worse with lower temperatures outside now and whne I first turn the stereo on. Cleans up a bit after playing of r a few minutes. I have a call into to BOSE to purchase a new driver now.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:51 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by 95_993
Excellent thread!!!

I just pulled my passenger door speaker and found the dust cap intact. Appears to be voice coil is scraping. Seems much worse with lower temperatures outside now and whne I first turn the stereo on. Cleans up a bit after playing of r a few minutes. I have a call into to BOSE to purchase a new driver now.
i had the same problem with my drivers side speaker, i ended up buying a used one for like $20 and it works just like new.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:47 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

i have a non-bose setup. Would it be possible if i can grab used bose speakers for the front doors? My front passenger is rattling. I've been too lazy to take it out to see if its a dust cap, but i get a feeling its just had its run.

When i said possible, I meant as, a direct plug and play

Last edited by vgo; 10-25-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:10 AM
1st Gear

Ok, i pulled the pass door speaker and confirmed the dust cap was intact. Voice coil was binding a bit. Called BOSE and got the speaker delivered to my door a day later....excellent customer service!! $40, 15 minutes later, the speaker was in. SOunds fantastic. Now I am kicking myself for waiting so long. This forum is great.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:21 PM
1st Gear

im soooo glad i saw this before going to the dealership lol. ive had the same problem for a couple months now.

Quick Reply: For anyone who thinks they've blown or have a blown Bose speaker