B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Anyone In seattle wanna make some Money$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 09:02 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Anyone In seattle wanna make some Money$$$$

you dont necessarily need to press the ball joints, i just used a socket adapter with a heavy mallet to bang it out. i do mean heavy mallet. i used a metal one though it may not have been the best idea but i didnt feel like buying a rubber mallet. it worked anyway.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:22 AM
1st Gear

thanks fritz.i think im just going to man up and do it. i looked at them the other day and it really looks like just alot on wrench work..i mean i dont know alot about cars im more of a MTB/DH guy but like i said my friends brother workes at a drift shop here in seeattle and i think he has everything i need at his homegarage. when youu banged the bal joints in do they like pop into the right spot? what im asking is how do you know that its "pressed" vs "not Fully Pressed" thanks for the information once again man.....and it sure as hell is raining here again and has been for two days now..and its Fa.cking june!

Old 06-04-2008, 11:57 AM
1st Gear

just watch out for rusted bolts. if they are bad, DON'T use a steel mallet, you'll just mushroom the end and be pissed that you have to cut it. A good dead blow or a brass mallet will get the job done. or even a torch if it's real bad. control arm job this is the walk through i used. good luck.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:09 PM
1st Gear

to answer your question about the joints being put back. i just tapped on the control arm right behind the ball joint.

the 2 uppers needed a little finesse, i actually brought out a regular c-clamp to press it as i slipped the bolt through. trust me, its easy money, grab some wd-40 and itll slip in with the clamp.

now you got the 2 lowers (front and back). if youre installing the knuckle/spindle back on, i installed the'lower front front'first to carry the weight, then attached the tie-rod to give it added support as i installed 'the lower front back'.

honestly, the first time through took me about8 hours. most of the time, i was trying to find the right tools and the correct sized socket. now when i moved over to the other side, 2 hours.

good luck

Old 06-04-2008, 03:01 PM
1st Gear

ahah now you got me worried.. just alittle bit..not really i think me and my friend could do this. i think when i have thepart infront of me it will make more sence.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:20 PM
1st Gear

When you guys did yours, did you have access to a lift?

Old 06-04-2008, 04:15 PM
1st Gear

i will

Old 06-04-2008, 04:35 PM
1st Gear

hell no, tilted drive way. ghetto as fark!

Old 06-04-2008, 05:52 PM
1st Gear

haha nice, because i NEED to do mine but i dont have access to a lift. nice to know its possible to do w/o one.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:46 PM
1st Gear

damn, i should have video recorded it, didnt know this many people are about to embark on this job

Quick Reply: Anyone In seattle wanna make some Money$$$$