B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

anyone resurfaced their flywheel before? ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 01:42 PM
1st Gear
Default anyone resurfaced their flywheel before? ?

So i recently decided to get it resurfaced and i did by a recommended machine shop...i took it in and it looked like the guy just fuked it up, so i took it to Rusnak and a guy i know there, one of the techs, and said it was fine just to get the edge completely flat cuz he had left a small lip there, soo i took it back and told em to redo it and he did and this is what it looks like now....:

Also as you can tell in one the the pics the center white dust collector thing got a bit chewed up...you guys think that can be a problem there? thanx for your time i will appreciate and comments, concerns, questions?

Old 03-01-2009, 12:57 AM
Site Moderator

How much did he take off? Dual mass flywheels aren't supposed to be re-surfaced because it can throw the weight balance off, but people have done it here without any problems. I would say its fine.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:05 AM
1st Gear

hmm not exactly sure...is there a way to measure it?

Old 03-01-2009, 11:48 PM
1st Gear

bump..

nd i posted the same thread on the zine nd everyone tells me that its not fine to take it back to the shop nd tell em to get me a replacement...

if anyone else has any input on this please feel free

Old 03-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Site Moderator

Personally i wouldn't put it back in the car.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:16 PM
4th Gear

You really need to contact South Bend, maybe send them some pics and ask them what they think. If you really want to make sure its ok see if you can send it to SB to have them look at it.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:10 PM
1st Gear

yea MIke i called and spoke to Andy, i think, he said that when it shifts it should be completely quiet, and while i was talking to him it was making some noise and he could hear it...so yea i guess i need a new one..
ima check at the machine shop see if he will go halfers with me or something because he didnt even re-surface the top part where the pressure plate bolts up to...

Old 03-03-2009, 10:52 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by nova_ss672001
yea MIke i called and spoke to Andy, i think, he said that when it shifts it should be completely quiet, and while i was talking to him it was making some noise and he could hear it...so yea i guess i need a new one..
ima check at the machine shop see if he will go halfers with me or something because he didnt even re-surface the top part where the pressure plate bolts up to...
At that point you might as well buy a 20 lbs billet steel and swap to a sprung disk. $400 shipped for the Billet steel flywheel if you want it, thats cheaper then a brand new dual mass.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:05 PM
1st Gear

yea i know...thats what i was thinking but my car payment is also due this month and its either or?

and does it come with hardware, like pressure plate and fw bolts?
i really need em and i stripped a couple of mine, and do i just swap the actual clutch plate, send the one i already have to you and i get the sprung one or?

Old 03-03-2009, 04:28 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by nova_ss672001
yea i know...thats what i was thinking but my car payment is also due this month and its either or?

and does it come with hardware, like pressure plate and fw bolts?
i really need em and i stripped a couple of mine, and do i just swap the actual clutch plate, send the one i already have to you and i get the sprung one or?
Since you got the clutch thru me I will throw in the bolt kit(flywheel and pressure plate) in for free if you get the flywheel thru me too. The bolts are free for people that buy a SB clutch/flywheel package but $25 when getting just a flywheel or clutch.

Yes I will have them send you a sprung disk if you get a 17 or 20 lbs SB flywheel, you just need to send the unsprung disk back to SB.

Quick Reply: anyone resurfaced their flywheel before? ?