B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

anyone know any good DIY for front automatic axle replacements??

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 11:53 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation anyone know any good DIY for front automatic axle replacements??

so just got my car back together not to long ago and power restored
all gaskets on engine, timing bel kit, coolant flush, tranny flush, rebuilt center driveline etc

now my axle shafts are failing making a weird thud metal noise while driving and when turning the steering wheel to either side all the way?
its a bit annoying now and dont feel all that safe since my daily commute is along the river delta which is all leeve roads with no gaurd rails
when going 60mph it makes a thud sound and pulls my car a bit to the left or right depending on which side it makes the metal noise

i have raised the car up and held the axle shaft bar and wiggled it to see if there was any movement or noise and there was a somewhat clicking noise
and ive noticed some grease around the plasic thing arougn the inside where all the controll arms are found so one side must be low on grease

i had the same problem with my center driveline not to long ago and it turned out that my grease on the bearings closest to the transmision becuase of where it was located and didn;t have a heatshield like the rear one. the gease had turned to a clay like material from all the heat coming out out the exhuast pipe

so now that im low on cash i found some decent axle shafts from Empi for $109 each and debating about the bearing but will deff get the new axle nut

only reason im not wanting to get the new bearing yet is because im looking to get new controll arms and some sort of new suspension system and dont want to be getting new bearings all over again so im thinking of skipping them this time but adding new ones by this summer hopefully?

on the scale of 1 thru 10 how hard is it?
i mean i was able to change the head gasket, install new cam chain tensioner, tranny flush & filter, timing belt change by myself so i know i can put stuff togerther
any input is appreciated

Old 02-10-2012, 12:02 PM
I'm make believe

It's actually pretty simple. If you have air tools the outside nut is easy to remove. Didn't try it by hand personally. You need triple square (m8) to remove the inner axle nuts. Just rotate the shaft to get to all the bolts. Only took about 30mins to replace mine when I replaced my clutch

Old 02-10-2012, 12:39 PM
1st Gear

cool. don't have an air compressor... wish i did lol
but have most the tools for it i think, is there anything out of the ordinary besides the triple square m8
i have an extra m10 i bought when i changed my head gasket but don't think i have the m8 but ill try to check today just in case its a allen bolt?

Old 02-10-2012, 12:51 PM
I'm make believe

That's the only odd item. Just use red locktite on the bolts because it's not something you want to come free. You may have to use some force to get the outside axel part out if grim got in there.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Without air tools, using a 24" breaker bar (1/2" drive) will break the end bolt free without too much trouble. Torque is big, but that kind of leverage will make pretty quick work of it.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:51 PM
I'm make believe

Got me one of those also, and a 3' pipe to slide over that I'd need be