B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Anyone here installed 55w HID's in an A4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 03:16 PM
1st Gear
Default Anyone here installed 55w HID's in an A4?

I have a 99.5 with the projector headlights that I just picked up today. I haven't had the chance to drive it at night yet, but I know I'm going to be longing for the HID's that my old Acura CL had. (OEM HID's) I'm planning on getting an HID kit soon, just wondering if anyone here has installed the 55w HID's at all. From looking at old threads, it sounds like HID conversions are a bit controversial here, but I think since I have the projectors, I should be all right. I guess my main concern is the heat, I know that the stock bulbs are 55w, too but for some reason, I thought that the HID's put out more heat, not sure why I think that, but that's what I'm lead to believe. Also, it sounds like people here have had luck with DDM tuning as a source for the lights, there are 9 million HID suppliers out there, but I'll probably go with DDM, unless someone has other advice.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:34 PM
2nd Gear

Our projectors use H7 bulbs which are not very suitable for HIDs. Yes, they are much better than reflective housings, but the light dispersion of the HID capsule is much different. Here are some cons of going this way:

-First of all, there are no 55w HID capsules. These ballasts are going to overdrive the normal 35w capsules and that will make them last much longer and they will also get much dimmer much faster since HID lamps dim over time.

-Secondly, you can't get an OEM-quality 55w ballast. Since it's not official or even legal, good brands like Denso and Matsushita don't make them.

-Third, since the projector is not meant for HID, you won't get a very good beam pattern. They will not go as far, and they will be much less wide. HID projectors light up the sides of the roads (for signs and such) much better. And since they are less efficient, that does mean that they will run hotter. Will they survive? I don't know.

-Fourth is a problem with HID kits in general is that they used rebased lamps, meaning you can't just buy regular replacement lamps when yours burn out after 5 minutes of use. You have to buy inferior aftermarket replacement lamps as opposed to a good brand like Philips that lasts longer and has a more steady color temperature over time.

And yes, there will be glare, but it won't be as bad as a reflector housing. I really recommend sticking to 35w, and doing a proper retrofit if possible, but if you really feel the need to do this, PLEASE stick to 4300k because it glares less than the higher color temperatures. The lamps themselves are also more efficient that way (less heat, since more light is leaving the housing and thus not being converted to heat) and the light is more useful to you.

Last edited by dragonrage; 01-21-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:01 PM
1st Gear

Sounds like 35w is the way to go, my Acura had 35w OEM HID's and they were great, so I'm sure I'll be fine with the 35w kit. I am going to stick to the 4300k kit, I don't mind a little blue tint in my lights, but the super blue 8000K+ kits are just too funny looking to me.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:14 PM
1st Gear

i run the ddm 35watts 6000k in my head lights and they are totally fine. the work everytime and its like daylight at night. also have the high beams and fogs too. super bright with the high beams on

Old 01-21-2010, 04:30 PM
3rd Gear

I have the DDM 55w 5000k in my projectors. They work fine with great cutoff and no problems with heat dissipation or anything like that. I've been flashed once for them and since I have re leveled them. No problems with glare since.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:35 PM
1st Gear

I'm running the 55w 8000K DDM kit in my lows and I can't complain, it lights everything up by a lot. My fogs are 35w 6000K and are also really bright. My car is the same year as yours.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:02 PM
1st Gear

Well, I just ordered a 35w 5000k (figured a little blue isn't bad!) kit from DDM. I got the slim kit, so with shipping it was $63. I'll update everyone on how they turn out. I did do my first night driving tonight with the A4 and it definitely needs a little HID help!

Old 01-21-2010, 09:29 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by BT5150
Well, I just ordered a 35w 5000k (figured a little blue isn't bad!) kit from DDM. I got the slim kit, so with shipping it was $63. I'll update everyone on how they turn out. I did do my first night driving tonight with the A4 and it definitely needs a little HID help!
lol f my life. when i got them two years ago they were $120 a set and $25 lifetime warrenty on the ballast. you got a good deal

Old 01-21-2010, 09:52 PM
2nd Gear

I'm seriously considering getting a 55w kit from DDMTuning. The one thing though is I am wanting to get the Devil Eyes style projector, so I might wait till I get those first since they use h1 style bulbs.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:12 AM

35w 6000k HID kit from DDM just came in the mail today i have a new project for tomorrow. ill be sure to post pics

Quick Reply: Anyone here installed 55w HID's in an A4?